R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADK Custom Shop  (Read 4888 times)

LonnB

• Real Full Name: Lonn Baker
ADK Custom Shop
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these (mics). Specs seem pretty good and are very customizable. Anyone know who's making the "Australian-Designed" capsule?

Thanks

klaus

Re: ADK Custom Shop
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »

The wording would suggest to me that ADK had some help in their design probably from Røde, then ADK had the capsules made in China to these specs. Otherwise they would likely say Australian "made" rather than "designed".

Beyond that, I am not familiar with this particular model, but would advise to compare its worthiness to similarly priced mics, not mics- whether used or new- that cost a lot more:

Audio Deutch Kraft once sent an angry response to an audio magazine which had 'tested' one of their mics against a Neumann U67, after I remarked, in a letter to the editor, that it's pretty bold, and probably misleading to even allude that such mics could be comparable.
My objection at the time: a professional audio magazine should not mislead readers to think they could obtain a microphone of a certain (high) value for a fraction of what such microphone usually costs in the free market place. 

ADK chided me for arrogance towards German vintage mics, and blindness towards anything else. Which was a hoot, considering their company's name (bastardised German) and model designations (European capitals associated with the birth of classic condenser mics)- all trying to create and associate with an image of fine vintage German or Austrian microphones costing a multiple of theirs.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

LonnB

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »

Thanks Klaus,
The ADK CS-251 and CS-12 are around $2000. I guess I'm wondering how ADK would compare to other mics in that price range, such as the Pearlman TM-1 or T-Funk AR-51 / AK47mkII. Certainly cheaper than a U87ai, but not exactly low end. I of coarse like a good deal - so I'm just trying to get the most bang for the buck. Are you really getting that much more microphone with the U87ai?

Thanks,
Lonn

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:04:37 AM »

...so I'm just trying to get the most bang for the buck. Are you really getting that much more microphone with the U87ai?

We don't have to quarrel about subjective sound opinions in answering that question, because the uncharacteristically high resale price for a used U87 tells the story.

At least it invokes confidence that, if you don't end up liking the sound of a U87- old or new- you will not lose much if any of your invested money upon resale.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

LonnB

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »

At least it invokes confidence that, if you don't end up liking the sound of a U87- old or new- you will not lose much if any of your invested money upon resale.

Good to know... Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.