R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shelving vs hipass  (Read 13832 times)

chai t

• Real Full Name: chai tamai
shelving vs hipass
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:32:27 AM »

in what situation would you use one over the other? i've been aware of the shelving for a long time. just never used it if i want to cut lows. on highs, i use it more often.

any real-world experiences that can be related will be appreciated.

thanks,

c

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Re: shelving vs hipass
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »

I find, I really like the low shelves on the Prism MEA-2 for cutting.  It generally gives a smoother and more controlled response over HP filters that I have. There are times though, that a 6bB/octave filter is the right tool for the excessive sub-busting bass occasions.

It's also about what's happening with ripple in the pass-band, as the frequency response I'm looking for. 
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »

i can't remember the last time i used a shelf.

Osumosan

• Real Full Name: Michael Jung
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:56:08 AM »

i can't remember the last time i used a shelf.
Never use a high shelf?
I use lo shelf together with high pass frequently.

Grant Craig

• Real Full Name: Grant Craig
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »

I find myself using high shelves, but with a very broad Q, to add air occasionally.

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:36:17 AM »

The way my ears hear it is…

Shelf it, when you want some of it to still go through, thus, complementing the cut and still giving it subtleties of allowing some through. A bit like parallel workings.

Cut’s are for moments, whereby, no intrusions are allowed and all entry points closed off completely. A bit like a fridge door, that seals the audio in from the outside or expelled or cut part.

I use both all the time. In mixing and mastering.
My two quartz..

Ciao’
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

BobSchwenkler

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:32:26 AM »

Much of my mixing is in the box and the primary eq I use is the UAD Cambridge. A lot of different options in one little plugin.

One spot where I find myself using the shelving is when I'm boosting highs or cutting lows. With the highs I'll sometimes set the shelving mode so that it peaks upward (poor terminology here, I'm sure) and then tweak the Q to add a little bit more at that certain frequency that wants a little more exaggeration than the others, often 3 or 4k ish. In the low end it's sort of the opposite, I'll mildly shelf out some lows, have the peak point downward, and tweak the Q to get a little more cut in the mud range, often 250-500 hz.

I'll often use the shelving only when there's some particular frequency I want to emphasize in this manner, otherwise it's a low Q bandpass which I often use for broad boosts in the high end.

The low end rolloff filter I use the majority of the time is actually the 6dB/oct type. It's more a tone shaping than a "get the lows out" how I use it. The 6dB has a much more natural sound than the higher order type.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.