R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Plug in Nostalgia...  (Read 15473 times)

Ged Leitch

Re: Plug in Nostalgia...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 11:13:31 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Sat, 12 August 2006 01:55

Plug in Nostalgia...  Shocked  Shocked  Laughing  Laughing  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Mad  Mad  Embarassed  Embarassed .... i'm gonna vomit.....

what's next??? nostalgia for this??

give me a b(r)eak

Read the above posts Zetter, it was a joke title.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

resolectric

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 01:58:47 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 18:41

is Q metric discontinued? hows the sound?

In my oppinion it sounds great, allows some very precise adjustmentes in 0.5 dB steps and doesn't seem to damage untouched frequencies in any way.

The Q settings go from very wide to extremely narrow bands, narrower than on most recent plugins and the frequency is correctly displayed in its panel.

Some time ago (years ago, that is) i made some detailed tests and concluded that when applied with all gains set to 0dB there was no change in the resulting wave.

One of the characteristics that i like most is the independent Stereo switching in each frequency band allowing the user to perform equalization settings on one channel of the Stereo field only. Simple as this may seem it's a feature not present on most actual software EQs, even those named "Mastering" plugins.
It's a feature even harder to find in software compressors, but that is a different subject.

I have conducted some tests recently, with VST Plugin Analyser and was glad to see that the frequency response extends up to 20KHz or beyond, and that Phase and Harmonic Distortion have normal values, even acceptable for far more recent Plugins.
Frequency Response analysis with the same analyser has presented values that are more correct with what you set on the virtual knobs in the user interface than those of URS's Fulltec and A Mix plugins to wich i had Qmetric compared.

Qmetrics "ShowCurve" function opens a new window with a graphic display that makes it easier to see what is happening with your equalization settings, frequency response wise. This curve display is almost an exact replica of what you'll see with the VST Plugin Analyser.

The most similar results when compared with more recent EQ plugins were obtained with PSP's MasterQ. Here the frequency response settings were set the same way and the numerical results with VST Plugin Analyser were the same except for the Group Delay results wich were incomparably more correct in Qmetric than on PSP's Equalizer (unless i'm reading something wrong here).

These recent tests were done with the lower quality settings in Qmetric. There's an option for "Double Sampling" and "Max Quality" that i didn't use in the tests though i opt for those settings when equalizing with Qmetric.

Technically (mathematically) the results are impressive.
Soundwise, it pleases me a lot and i've been using it since its release more than 8 years ago.
I won't say that it emulates analog EQ or that it sounds digital because i believe those are philosofical considerations, not technical.
Steinberg's Qmetric is, in my oppinion, a very usable and effective tool for equalisation.

Though it's been discontinued it's still worth the search for one. It came bundled with early Cubase versions and, i believe, was available as a stand-alone .dll as well.
It works as both a VST or DirectX plugin.

KAyo

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 11:08:53 PM »

Hi Ged,

As and when you have the time, could you reiterate, to some of us what that -3db test is all about? Would be helpful to know, I guess....!!!

Will try and seek out the post. Hopefully, I succeed. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Aux 13

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »

Cool  Cool
Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 02:51

TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 01:37

I've never seen those - were these included with TC Spark?  

fwiw - a couple of the older TC plugs such as the Dynamizer -   http://www.sydec.be/Products/Details/ID/d610f17c-3140-4126-9 8e5-5739225d04ce/TC%7cDynamizer/ - are available still as Soundscape DSP based plugins that run on the DSP in their cards, like Mixtreme & Mixpander.  I actually have a Mixtreme 192 for one of my DAW's but I've never used any of their TC stuff so can't comment on whether it is still worthy of use - but having had a TC Finalizer + at my old workplace - I think there are most likely better options out there now.

I've never used any of the TC Powercore stuff either - but have generally seen mixed reviews on it.  Now the 6000 on the other hand- that thing seems to have quite a number of fans.  Can't say I've ever felt that it was something I would want to prioritize on my equipment wish list though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

Steve,
im pretty certain they were released as their Native bundle collection, discontinued now though...

They were part of Spark software and Spark 2.8 still runs on 10.4.8....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.