R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with the VU-Meters on my AMEK desk  (Read 2749 times)

enginEAR

Problem with the VU-Meters on my AMEK desk
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:31:33 AM »

Hello everyone.

I hope that this is the right forum for my topic. If it is not, please move this thread to where it fits better. Thank you.

This morning, after a nice recording session, i switched on my AMEK Classic and found out that the right Master-VU was showing me a signal and that it was "dancing" (please excuse this absolutely not-technical word) when no audio was playing. When turning on the Osci on the desk it showed that the right VU was showing 5 and the left VU only 4. I then connected my DAT to the desk to see if the output was also louder on the right side but this was not the case and there is also no crackling or weird sounds coming from the right channel when listening to the DAT via headphones. This took away some of my worries, but as a side effect i found out that the volume-pot if the monitor-section was not working as good anymore since the right speaker was still getting an audio signal when the left was already quiet in postion ZERO (this was not there before THAT much). I then took a voltmeter and measured if there was any voltage present on the right VU and it showed me that there is some.  

Also, since a few weeks the VU on the subgroup 'H' is showing full peak with also no signal present and no crackling or stuff like that. Same problem maybe?

What happened here? So far i don´t have any manual (the owner who had it before burned it by accident or whatever!) and the german folks who could help me out with one do not see any need to do that. I don´t want the VUs to get hurt or to hurt the whole desk so i am very very thankful for any help you can offer. is it possible to disconnect the VUs and work without them (since i normally do not really use them but more my ears Wink) for the time until the bug is found? What else can i do? Could it be that a broken volume-pot in the monitor-sectioncauses this behaviour? Thank you for your input, time and help.

-Mario Dahmen
-Mario Dahmen / GRACE Audio

ssltech

Re: Problem with the VU-Meters on my AMEK desk
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:37:14 AM »

Sounds like a noisy meter buffer, or a wandering DC-offset in the meter driver.

Replace the IC if yu don't have a scope. If you have a scope, probe the inputs & outputs to the buffer. It's usually a very simple circuit.

By the ay are these VU or PPM meters?

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.