R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another crock  (Read 13789 times)

danlavry

Another crock
« on: July 12, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »

I just received the link bellow from a friend. Can you believe it?

http://www.pymblehifi.com.au/NordostCableBurning.htm

Regards
Dan Lavry

Barry Hufker

Re: Another crock
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:07:46 PM »

It's nice to know there are places which are still a fool's paradise.

Barry

PookyNMR

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 01:44:16 AM »

(!!!)  Oh My...
Nathan Rousu

Peter Simonsen

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:57:28 AM »

Jesus Christ! I find it! hmmm  No wait..I cant find words to say about it..its too far out !

Kind regards

Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<

LBjorke

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »

$25 for a single cabe, but only $50 for a pair!

What a deal!

ottor

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 06:58:29 PM »

you forgot to read the disclaimer in the footer of that page...   Smile   perhaps they don't believe it themselves...

"Pymble HiFi takes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of, or the representations made by, the content of this site."

Otto Ruiter

danlavry

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:02:03 PM »

LBjorke wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 23:08

What a deal!

What do you expect from someone that says:

"It provides a very wide band and deep conditioning into the conductor core, which produces changes in the way signals pass through the metal".

"Uses a proprietary combination of composite and complex signals... parts of the signals oscillate at ultra low frequencies and other parts are in ultra high ranges.... This method sets up beat harmonics, or hetrodynes, between the 2 complex waveforms. In the digital domain this would be referred to as aliasing products..."

Regards
Dan Lavry
http:/www.lavryengineering.com

Andy Peters

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 07:47:05 PM »

danlavry wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 16:02

LBjorke wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 23:08

What a deal!

What do you expect from someone that says:

"It provides a very wide band and deep conditioning into the conductor core, which produces changes in the way signals pass through the metal".

"Uses a proprietary combination of composite and complex signals... parts of the signals oscillate at ultra low frequencies and other parts are in ultra high ranges.... This method sets up beat harmonics, or hetrodynes, between the 2 complex waveforms. In the digital domain this would be referred to as aliasing products..."

"A combination of reflection and refraction, resulting in the ionization of isotopes, makes for a superior aural result."

My bullshit's no better than theirs.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

horselesspaul

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 07:57:35 AM »

I like:
1) It neutralizes spurious charges that build up around the cables and the insulation.

Can it be used to neutralise the spurious charges for the product itself?

Ronny

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 01:11:42 PM »

danlavry wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 17:36

Regards
Dan Lavry

I believe that people will say that. People sell goop that goes on converter chips and claims it brings clarity to the signal and that setting your monitors on special maple boards increases sonic quality. Special feet for the amp that reduces vibration thus cleaning the signal and producing more profound lows and sharper highs. Gold knobs that not only look great but makes cymbals sparkle. Shatki stones to set your monitors on that increase quality and one time I saw a company selling little pyramids that sit on top of the gear to improve sonics. No this cable break-in company doesn't surprise me at all. With subjective psychoacoustics, truth in advertising is non-existence, because when it comes to the auditory cortex there are no standards to go by. It's one person's personal perspective versus another. One man's music, is another man's noise. I doubt that we will see an end to outrageous audio claims in my lifetime.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

danlavry

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 05:09:37 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sat, 29 July 2006 18:11

danlavry wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 17:36

Regards
Dan Lavry

I believe that people will say that. People sell goop that goes on converter chips and claims it brings clarity to the signal and that setting your monitors on special maple boards increases sonic quality. Special feet for the amp that reduces vibration thus cleaning the signal and producing more profound lows and sharper highs. Gold knobs that not only look great but makes cymbals sparkle. Shatki stones to set your monitors on that increase quality and one time I saw a company selling little pyramids that sit on top of the gear to improve sonics. No this cable break-in company doesn't surprise me at all. With subjective psychoacoustics, truth in advertising is non-existence, because when it comes to the auditory cortex there are no standards to go by. It's one person's personal perspective versus another. One man's music, is another man's noise. I doubt that we will see an end to outrageous audio claims in my lifetime.  

We agree that the con may not end soon. I wish we were not so accepting of that fact, because acceptance of such practices  will slow down progress in the fight against the con artists.

Say someone comes in and first talks about his 25 years experience as a team leader of some project (which is a lie), then talks about modifying the electric field inside a conductor (electric fields exist only outside a conductor), then pushes a bunch of lies about actually altering the copper itself...

Should there be some point for such a pile of lies to face accountability?

For the most part, the medical profession would not allow such garbage to be spread around. True, health is most important, and selling a $10000 cable based on lies does not kill. But ripping someone off is wrong, even if it does not kill.

For me, there is a huge difference between someone saying: "I like the way this cable sounds" and the way so many things are being sold. Is it not wrong to pretend that you are talking about science while you are making things up?

One can argue that it is up to the buyer to figure out when they are being lied to. Such an argument would require me to be a competent medical doctor, car mechanic, cook, house contractor... Such argument allows snake oil salesman to have a free hand with no accountability.

In my view, the seller, the expert, the presenter of goods or information must meet some minimum criteria, and be accountable for their actions. Someone that does not know science or engineering, should not pose otherwise. Would you want a phony doctor to perform a medical operation on you? Would you want a con artist to take you for a ride to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars? Or for 1 dollar?

Regards
Dan Lavry  

trevord

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 08:01:54 PM »

Hey.. The guy has expenses..
Do you see the quality of those cable photographs?

The irony is ... technology and modern manufacturing have truly made high quality audio reproduction relatively inexpensive, but the number of people who believe you get better sound the more you spend seems to be increasing.

Ronny

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 02:48:12 AM »

danlavry wrote on Sat, 29 July 2006 17:09

We agree that the con may not end soon. I wish we were not so accepting of that fact, because acceptance of such practices  will slow down progress in the fight against the con artists.

Say someone comes in and first talks about his 25 years experience as a team leader of some project (which is a lie), then talks about modifying the electric field inside a conductor (electric fields exist only outside a conductor), then pushes a bunch of lies about actually altering the copper itself...

Should there be some point for such a pile of lies to face accountability?

Absolutely. False advertisement is false advertisement and I don't think either you or I fall into the acceptance category. The problem is who has time to take legal action. I think we are doing our part by calling a spade a spade and at the risk of not gaining a few friends, in the process.  

Quote:

For the most part, the medical profession would not allow such garbage to be spread around. True, health is most important, and selling a $10000 cable based on lies does not kill. But ripping someone off is wrong, even if it does not kill.

For me, there is a huge difference between someone saying: "I like the way this cable sounds" and the way so many things are being sold. Is it not wrong to pretend that you are talking about science while you are making things up?

Yes, it is, but I think the major problem is not the small profiteers who make the outrageous claims, based on their wacked interpretation of the laws of physics. It's the large companies that sell the volume, that don't relate to the specs and utilize used car salesman speak and power of suggestions to sell their wares. They are careful with their words and don't leave so many openings that can be checked out with the math.

Quote:

One can argue that it is up to the buyer to figure out when they are being lied to. Such an argument would require me to be a competent medical doctor, car mechanic, cook, house contractor... Such argument allows snake oil salesman to have a free hand with no accountability.

I personally don't believe in caveat emptor in this case. A manufacturer has the responsibility of being honest to the consumer. Unfortunately the world evolves around the mighty sale for dishonest people and they are liable to say anything to make the buck. One of the reasons that I like to pop into this newsgroup is the fact that you are one of the few honest manufacturers. I think there are other manufacturers that are honest and make claims honestly, that don't cut the mustard, but I don't think that they eliminate the human emotional element in their tests. Plain and simple they are fooled because they don't realize the infallicies of the auditory cortex and the human ability to recall information consistently. For example, they are cajoled into thinking that 192k sample rates are better, because the numbers are higher and they expect it to be better. ITR, we can continue to vent our opinions and call out snakeoil salesman, continue to educate the unbeknownst publicly such as on this forum, but the worst enemy is that most of the claims by the large manufacturers are phycoacoustical and therefore opinions are used instead of science to sell the product.

Quote:

In my view, the seller, the expert, the presenter of goods or information must meet some minimum criteria, and be accountable for their actions. Someone that does not know science or engineering, should not pose otherwise. Would you want a phony doctor to perform a medical operation on you? Would you want a con artist to take you for a ride to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars? Or for 1 dollar?

Regards
Dan Lavry  

Absoultely not. I have the experience to know that they are bullshitters and I'll never cower from outing an audio charlatan in a public forum. I'm thankful that you are the same way, I just wish that we had more manufacturers that thought like you did and spent their time and dough improving their product from year to year, instead of spending the bucks on hype advertising.
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Barry Hufker

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 10:11:55 AM »

This falls into the same category as the age old question, "What do you call the person who finishes at the bottom of his medical school class?         Doctor."

In other words, there are all kinds of quacks no matter what the field.  It makes no sense for an individual or person to sue these people as the claims are subjective.  I perceive it, you don't.  You can't win at that.  Should the FTC investigate?  Maybe, but it isn't high profile enough.  It's just like them investigating used car sales -- good luck with that.

It's the very expensive version of the placebo effect.  If you think it will make a difference then it does.  And audio magazines are accomplices.  They don't want to expose these people because the magazine is no longer a "true believer" as to what can improve hi-fi.  And it also cuts into ad revenue.  But I am sure they police themselves enough not to run the truly bizarre ads.

It's always been buyer beware and it always will be -- in anything.  That's how it's always been.  I can't imagine this world working any other way given how life has worked so far.

Think of the first guy who "bought" a defective wheel from the inventor -- what a schmuck.  You'd think he'd know better!

Barry

Luke Fellingham

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 10:44:19 AM »

I wonder if they can do anything for my power cables as well?

AlexVI

• Real Full Name: Alexander Van Ingen
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »

Almost worse, how much do you think Pymble HiFi paid Nordost for the VIDAR machine? It looks fancy enough...

AVI

Loco

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 09:18:26 AM »

Well, Phil Taylor said on TapeOp that the silver-core directional digital cables at The Astoria got even better sound after the burn-in period, helped by the shatki stones on top of the cone-supported Weiss anti-Jitter boxes at both ends...  Laughing
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 10:45:10 AM »

Loco wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 14:18

Well, Phil Taylor said on TapeOp that the silver-core directional digital cables at The Astoria got even better sound after the burn-in period, helped by the shatki stones on top of the cone-supported Weiss anti-Jitter boxes at both ends...  Laughing

Yeah, but that's because he did the burn in during a full moon, any other time and it's useless.

Ronny

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 01:47:41 PM »

Loco wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 09:18

I was a participant on some of the Astoria cable and gizmo tests when they were remodding the studio, while I didn't hear any audible differences, there were some, because some of the examples didn't completely null, I know because I performed the null tests myself. Where those difference came from, or if they can be attributed solely to the cables, or burn in time or whatever, remains to be seen and as far as I was concerned, the tests were inconclusive. BTW, only a couple of people claimed that they heard a difference, Phil being one of them.