R/E/P > Dan Lavry

Why longer is generally better for an S/PDIF Digital Cable

<< < (2/25) > >>

Daniel Asti:
slwiser wrote on Tue, 30 May 2006 18:57
What does everyone think about this article!

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Is it correct?

Did you know that there is no government regulation that holds them accountable for what they claim? They can say whatever they want when "describing" the product. This is very similar to the herbal supplement industry.

The reason there are $5,000 power cables is because someone will buy them. There is no science backing it up whatsoever, you see. All of it is based on belief. The company will invent terms and vividly describe something and someone will believe what they say. They buy this cable and, like many studies have shown, will not be able to tell their own cable from a well built but much less expensive cable. (Unless they rig the test - which is awefully common.) Audiophiles and snake oil companies alike will claim that science is just not far enough along, you just can't measure it... So, you gotta believe them and take their word for it.

Dan is not ranting and you must understand that. His writings and theory are scientific and the community accepts him because it can be backed up with a step by step reproduction and verification. As he pointed out in the paper; they are bluring the lines of fact and fiction. Some things, like the cable length "concept", just fly in face of plain old-fashioned common sense.

Dan is not being subjective.

ammitsboel:
danlavry wrote on Fri, 02 June 2006 02:45
You may then realize the difference between my technical presentations and that crock you are comparing it to

My post was meant to show this difference.
Being a strong believer with a lesser sense of balance often leads to BS.

I do not doubt your technical skills.

Best Regards

Yannick Willox:
Just to throw some oil on the discussion:

if we make the spdif cable a transmission line, couldn't this have advantages ? Imagine how long it would have to be  

danlavry:
ammitsboel wrote on Fri, 02 June 2006 15:57
danlavry wrote on Fri, 02 June 2006 02:45
You may then realize the difference between my technical presentations and that crock you are comparing it to

My post was meant to show this difference.
Being a strong believer with a lesser sense of balance often leads to BS.

I do not doubt your technical skills.

Best Regards

I often have a problem with the word "believe" when talking about technology. People are free to believe all sorts of things, but technology is about science and engineering. One is not free to believe that 1+1=7, no matter how much they wish it to be. Technology is about what is really taking place.

No one is free to talk about a skin effect problem in context of some 2 meter cable at some 10MHz and many nsec rise time. Is it legal to misrepresent such facts? I do not know. But I know it is wrong technically.

Did you visit the article "Skin Effect" on my site? It took some time to put together, and I did it for just such cases as we are dealing with here. There are many cable companies that use skin effect where it does not count, including many makers of speakers wires.

You see, there is such a thing a a skin effect, and it does matter a lot at high frequencies, long cables, tiny thin diameter conductors. Strictly speaking, you can not ever say it is not there. If you put one grain of salt into a body of pure water the size of the Atlantic ocean, you can not say that the water is free of slat either. This is a pretty good analogy to skin effect "problems" for a 2 meter spdif cable.

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com

Rivendell61:
The same fellow (Empirical Audio) says that he will be pleased to mod/fix the 'weaknesses' in the Lavry DA-10....
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=28401
A couple of mildly skeptical responders don't get very much of an answer from him.

He mods the Benchmark DAC 1 for a mere $1050 (and another $500 for a 12S interface), other options available!

He uses the 'engineering talk' to sell--but there is no specificity about mod results--only things like "10-15% improvement in focus and imaging".

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version