R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Wacky" Mackie Mixer?  (Read 10312 times)

djwayne

Re: "Wacky" Mackie Mixer?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »

I just talked to a guy who bought a mixing board for $85,000 and says it's now worth about $12,000.....I'm keeping the Mackie for a long time.

redfro

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 09:03:41 PM »

djwayne wrote on Tue, 30 May 2006 18:56

I just talked to a guy who bought a mixing board for $85,000 and says it's now worth about $12,000.....I'm keeping the Mackie for a long time.

What the hell did he buy?!?

A used SSL 4056g goes for about $85k and I guarantee that you can sell it for that much. That was just a bad purchase...
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

Podgorny

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 10:11:09 PM »

djwayne wrote on Tue, 30 May 2006 18:56

Greg, is that you?
How is the Tapco line coming?

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

floodstage

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 11:26:26 PM »

To answer the original question, no, your 1402 shouldn't screw up the high end.  Get it fixed.

djwayne

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 11:32:47 PM »

I didn't get any details about the board, he wasn't in a good mood, and I didn't want to press him. I don't think he wants to talk about it.

And no, I'm not Greg, or affiliated with Mackie in any other way, other than being a satisfied customer.

craig boychuk

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »

I used a 1604VLZ for the same purpose when I was starting out. It definitely crapped up the sound of things, but worse than that was the CR pot dropped the level of the left channel when it was below unity. Yikes.

Another good controller is the Coleman M3PH MkII. It's a passive unit too...very clean. Check out the TB4 MKII if you need talk back capabilities.

http://www.colemanaudio.com/

-craig
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

Fibes

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 02:03:42 PM »

If you just need a clean attenuator on a budget this one would be my pick:
http://www.nhtpro.com/products/pvc.html

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

blueboy

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »

Hey thanks Fibes.

That may be just the ticket until I do a major upgrade. Most of the other simple passive volume controls I was looking at seemed to be "audiophile" products and cost about $500 for the same basic functionality.

If this is relatively clean, you can't really go wrong at $100.

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

Fibes

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »

BTW i don't use it currently but i have done comparisons and used it at another friends shop.

It beats a Mackie hands down.

A lot of folks just use their Benchmark DAC-1s too.

Do a search on the PVC, i think there's only one unhappy customer that i'm aware of.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Kurt Foster

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »

It's hard to argue with the fact that expensive large format consoles have lost a lot of their monetary value in the past 10 to 15 years. I purchased an older MCI 600 series console a while back and had it for 5 years and ended up selling it for half of what I paid for it. It sure did sound good though but the maintenance and the real estate it required wound up being a deal breaker for me in the end.

I have a Mackie SR24 that I monitor with while I track into DAW but I would neve mix or sum through it. I just makes everything sound grainy (like blueboy said) and very plastic like. I don't fault the board or Mackie for that though. After all what do you expect for an $1100 24 channel console? What is that, about  $45 bucks a channel? It is what it is and there a lots of routing and mixing features to boot. BTW it's great for live sound and it works perfectly to mix latency free phones for the talent but I would never pass a signal through it to the recorder.

If a someone is pleased with the sound  from a Mackie I say, "That's great!", but on the other hand I would never criticize someone for not liking it either. Not everyone hears the same (or as well) as others and some folks are more easily satisfied than others.

"Different strokes, for different folks", as Sly once said.

djwayne

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 04:53:54 PM »

Although one might find an old used Mackie 24x8 on Flea-bay for $1,100 occassionaly, the new price is between $2,500 and 3,500, depending on where you shop. Meter bridge about an additional $700. so it's not $45 per channel, as you've posted. More like $100-125 per channel.

No, a Mackie 8 bus isn't for everyone, and if I had a pro studio I'd have something larger, but for my HOME STUDIO, it's great, not too big, not too small, and does everything I need it to do. I don't need a large board to sucker, oops I mean impress clients.

As far as mixing goes, lately, I'm doing everything ITB with Audition 2.0, and that's working out great for me.

floodstage

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 05:57:12 PM »

kurtfoster said the SR24 was 1100, not the 24 x 8.  The SR24 is close to 1100.  The 24 x 8 is 3 or 4k new, but I can't imagine they sell many these days.

Kurt Foster

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »

Actually I was talking about how much my mixer (an SR 24vlz) 4 buss cost new ... it was 1600 but I ground them down to 1100 bucks. I thought it was a good deal at the time.

Of all the Mackies I have used, I personally think the SR 24 vlz's sound the best for some unfathomable reason. I suspect they have the most adequate power supply of the bunch ... but that still doesn't mean I would use it to pass signal to a recorder if I could avoid it. I must admit however that in a couple of instances, I did use the pres to the recorder and one of those recordings (Nik Turners Space Ritual on Cleopatra Records) turned out to be one of the most widely distributed records I've recorded BTW it received positive reviews on the sound quality but it was mixed in LA on a big console. So it just goes to show ... use what you have to the best of your abilities and good things can happen.

floodstage

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 06:01:44 PM »

24VLZ has better pres than 24 x 8.

djwayne

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 06:50:43 PM »

Okay, you're forgiven. I have no experience with the SR 24VLZ and have no comment about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.