R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digital circuits  (Read 2783 times)

ammitsboel

digital circuits
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:55:24 AM »

Hi there,
Why is it that manufactures often put caps in series with the I/O transformers? A part of the reason must be DC, but many circuits doesn't have dc on them. Is it to improve jitter performance?

Best Regards
Henrik
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

Jim Williams

Re: digital circuits
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:39:44 AM »

Because of dc currents. Even small amounts can affect the tiny cores of these pulse transformers, besides, the chip makers recommend them.

I have found the quality of the caps affects end results.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

crm0922

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »

Jim, can you elaborate on your preferences for electrolytic coupling caps?  Brands, sizes, film bypass, etc.

How about the DC servo?  Better, worse, harder to design, etc.?

Just curious.

Chris

danlavry

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:47:41 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 16 May 2006 13:55

Hi there,
Why is it that manufactures often put caps in series with the I/O transformers? A part of the reason must be DC, but many circuits doesn't have dc on them. Is it to improve jitter performance?

Best Regards
Henrik

First, most of the transmitters and receivers are single ended drive and the DO have a DC offset. The DC offset is half way between the logic high to logic low, so a 0-3V driver has 1.5V DC average. You do not want to have a transformer winding shorting that driver 1.5V DC to ground. Worse, is when the signal "stops", and the driver is at high state - now you have 3V or "real DC" across the grounded winding. Clearly you want to block DC.

The AES and SPDIF signals, as well as many others, have the property of "signal independent DC". The average DC is exactly half way between the low and high voltage level, regardless of the audio in the data. That makes a push pull drive operate very near no DC. But say the signal "stops", then you are shorting an "high output" to a "low output" through a winding... So you want to block the DC.

So it is more then just a saturating transformer issue, it is also protecting the IC, or at least, when short circuit protected) preventing it from being in a "less then desired mode"

There are similar considerations on the other side (the receive end, leading you to some DC blocking).

Fortunately it is easy and cheap. Keep in mind that the signals are very high frequencies (compared to audio) so both the magnetizing inductance and the DC blocking caps are for the MHz range. As a rule, I do not see using electrolitics here.

regards
Dan Lavry

ammitsboel

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 04:02:28 AM »

Thanks Lavry for the useful information.
I have some large core pulse transformers that I'm trying different experiments with at the moment. One of the experiments is mounting them directly on the I of chips like the CS8413/14 and on the I/O of CS8427. I have no errors when I null in the DAW, but maybe the chips will have at shorter life?

If I decide to use a cap I will follow your advice on using a non electrolytic. I have found a very small Black Gate 0.1uf that goes high up in the MHz range though.

Best Regards
Henrik
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 15 queries.