R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KM84 power/ volume question  (Read 4091 times)

Mark Lemaire

• Real Full Name: Mark Lemaire
KM84 power/ volume question
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:21:11 AM »

Is there any common issue with KM84s where there might be a volume drop of, say 5 or 6 db that is fixed by unplugging and replugging in the mic? I have seen my 84 working OK but on certain days not putting out full volume. Replugging it in seems to fix it.

One thought: Is there maybe a partial short/ loose connection in the XLR connector that keeps mic from getting full phantom?

Possible clue (or red herring): moving/ shifting the XLR cable during use can cause big discharge noises.

Gentlemen: your thoughts?

klaus

Re: KM84 power/ volume question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:35:44 AM »

In my experience there is no such thing as a partial XLR connection that can repeatedly be dialed in at -5 or 6dB. It's usually either all on or all off.

The steady -6dB gives me another clue: one of the components may be touching ground, and decreasing output due to the inner isolation sleeve between circuit board and housing tube (ground) having been rubbed through.

Do this: next time it's low in output, use a couple of strong knuckle knocks up and down the mic housing, and observe whether the output changes. Also make sure that the -10dB stalk is fully in the low position (no attenuation.)

On the other hand, if this is one of those Klaus-guy modded 84's all bets are off... you may be a victim of that infamous German quality control!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mark Lemaire

• Real Full Name: Mark Lemaire
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »

Klaus-

You have not modded my 84s, though you have my KM86s....

Perhaps I will replace the plastic tubing (or cover it with a sheet of paper?)to rule out any unwanted grounding? Unfortunately, the strong knuckle knocks will likely cause this issue:

Possible clue (or red herring): moving/ shifting the XLR cable during use can cause big discharge noises.

Perhaps that helps prove your theory?

klaus

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »

Please clean and coat the male XLR mic connectors: Acetone on a Q-Tip, in a pinch 100% Isopropyl alcohol will do.

Once cleaned, coat the pins with Caig's DeOxit 5 or Pro-Gold.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.