R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: UAD change over.  (Read 18988 times)

j.hall

UAD change over.
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »

so, i'm still running the UAD TDM plugs.  if i change over to native, will my settings in each session pop-up on the native plugs seamlessly?  or do i have to save all the settings per song, per plug and "paste" them onto the new?

Podgorny

• Real Full Name: Kyle Mann
  • What 500-series mic pre works best as a door stop?
Re: UAD change over.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »

The latter. Even though they are the same "under the hood", they are different plugins, and so will not be recognized by pro tools as the same.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »

man, that really sucks.....

i'm still running PT 7.4 on a dual core PPC mac running Tiger.  i need to start brainstorming the upgrade.

new machine, new PT license, UAD cards....it starts to snowball.

anyway, my major hesitation (other then cash) is that my rig NEVER crashes. 

Podgorny

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »

As far as crashing goes, I've been REALLY pleased with 9. Most stable version I've ever used.
What is it that you feel you're missing with 7? "Enhanced Resolution" mode in beat detective? Mini Grand?
Nothing wrong with sticking with what works.

Grant Craig

• Real Full Name: Grant Craig
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:50:05 AM »

+1 on PT9 being more stable than PT8.  I notice it only rarely crashes when I'm doing a lot of zooming in/out.  I can go weeks without a crash though...

You won't need more than a UAD2solo card for the amount of UAD plugins you use currently.  It will be more than sufficient.

Be careful with the idea of ditching HD cards.  Firewire Aurora with PT9 is a decent option, if your clients can deal with a bit of latency.  Doesn't bug me personally, but it'd be hard to run a 'pro' room with a moderate latency problem like that. 

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »

As far as crashing goes, I've been REALLY pleased with 9. Most stable version I've ever used.
What is it that you feel you're missing with 7? "Enhanced Resolution" mode in beat detective? Mini Grand?
Nothing wrong with sticking with what works.

i'm just "crystal balling" a time when PT session will require a "save copy in" for me to open.  and that's not going to work.

Podgorny

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »

Right.

Well with MANY large clients still running non PCIe cards (which are limited to 8.0.x), I don't see them dropping file system support for a while. But you WILL get more and more projects with stupid metadata that is not supported in previous versions. Heaven forbid they actually get Elastic Audio to sound good. Then all bets are off.

As a point of note, I installed an HD|Native rig at Tombstone. Seems to be working great. Really not a terrible idea if you already have HD converters.

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »

won't an HD native rig still map to firewire converters as well?

Podgorny

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »

The native card is basically just a PCIe card that interfaces with the HD interfaces. If you have no interfaces attached, it will function like Pro Tools 9 with the complete production toolkit (aggregate i/o and all), but of course that means you won't have the "zero" latency i/o and are at the mercy of buffer settings. And you cannot combine Avid hardware with non Avid.

That said, my 8-core Nehalem Mac Pro is plenty happy running at 64 and 32 samples if I need to track with plugins or monitor any input to any output.

Gregory Thompson

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:33:17 PM »

Well with MANY large clients still running non PCIe cards (which are limited to 8.0.x), I don't see them dropping file system support for a while. But you WILL get more and more projects with stupid metadata that is not supported in previous versions.

To my knowledge, the PCI-X cards (which I still have) are compatible with PT9, however the computers that most folks have them installed in (Mac PPC) are not compatible with PT9.
I plan on getting a magma chassis in the future and migrating my PCI-X system to an Intel Mac when I feel like blowing a lot of money just to stay current and/or my dual 2.7 PPC finally blows a gasket.

-Greg
-Engineering for a living since 1994
-Currently freelancing for ABC Television (and that can change at a moment's notice)

Podgorny

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »

To my knowledge, the PCI-X cards (which I still have) are compatible with PT9, however the computers that most folks have them installed in (Mac PPC) are not compatible with PT9.

Greg,

That is correct. They are compatible with PT9, but PPCs are not, and neither is the Expansion|HD chassis, which for a long time was the only officially supported expansion chassis.  There are other options, but since version 9 has offered so few benefits over 8 for HD users, many PPC HD users have stayed put at 8.0.x because their systems are plenty powerful, and more importantly, they are stable.

Gregory Thompson

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:24 AM »

Greg,

That is correct. They are compatible with PT9, but PPCs are not, and neither is the Expansion|HD chassis, which for a long time was the only officially supported expansion chassis.  There are other options, but since version 9 has offered so few benefits over 8 for HD users, many PPC HD users have stayed put at 8.0.x because their systems are plenty powerful, and more importantly, they are stable.

which is where I'm at. 
it will cost me close to $5k to make the change to a(n unsupported) Magma expansion chassis and get a new Intel Mac plus the cost to upgrade to 9, plus buying HEAT (cause why would I go through all of that to not get HEAT?)
It's a lot of money just to stay current.

I could also make the jump to PDHD on a PC but that's such an unknown that I don't want to even think about it.  Plus all the other guys at the studio will tease me and call me names.
-Currently freelancing for ABC Television (and that can change at a moment's notice)

j.hall

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »

many PPC HD users have stayed put at 8.0.x because their systems are plenty powerful, and more importantly, they are stable.

i have YET to sit a v8.x rig that hasn't crashed.  and beat detective in v8 is terrible.  what the hell changed there???!!!!  awful!

i've only worked on two v9 rigs and neither crashed the whole project. 

and a side note about HEAT.  i do external summing and bring that back into PT on a stereo audio track.  as of now HEAT is a global thing.  so the track i'm printing to (which i monitor through the whole mix) will have HEAT engaged.  this can't be good for making mix decisions. 

Gregory Thompson

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »

I have not tried HEAT firsthand, but I thought that was something you could dial in on an as needed basis and able to bypass if you wanted?

A referred source:
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2010/11/17/avid-heat-reviewed-by-geoff-sanoff/

j.hall

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »

if you dial in the global control, it effects everything.

Bob Olhsson

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »

HEAT can be bypassed on a track by track basis.

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »

is that a new thing they fixed with an update?

Bob Olhsson

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:00:27 PM »

It's been in the documentation from the beginning.

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »

yet another thing i got wrong....
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.