R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Neumann TLM 49  (Read 65174 times)

Klaus Heyne

New Neumann TLM 49
« on: April 05, 2006, 02:06:26 PM »

Neumann Press Release, 3-31-06:

"Neumann Intros TLM 49 Retro Microphone Suitable for instrumental applications in professional production studios and with home recordists (March 31, 2006)

Neumann USA announces the introduction of the long-awaited TLM 49 large diaphragm, cardioid, studio microphone with its roots firmly planted among the classic Neumann M 49 and M 50 microphones of the 50s. The TLM 49 combines Neumann's esteemed engineering and precision manufacturing to produce an innovative transformerless microphone that is optimized for that very special, warm, Neumann vocal sound.

Given the retro look, Neumann's proven transformerless circuitry technology, low self-noise, high gain levels, great sound and a reasonable price, the TLM 49 is poised to become yet another Neumann legend in vocal and speech recording. It is also suitable for instrumental applications in professional production studios and with home recordists.

The TLM 49 features the famous K47 capsule used in the M 49 and U47 microphones. The capsule has a linear frequency response up to the upper mid-range. Above 2kHz there is a gentle presence boost up to 3dB. The capsule is enclosed by a large, acoustically open, neutral sounding head grille. The large 34mm diaphragm cardioid capsule has a tendency towards supercardioid performance due to the special capsule construction. TLM transformerless technology ensures good common mode rejection, prevents RF interference and suppresses noise signals affecting balanced modulation. And the TLM 49 operates at SPLs of up to 114dB without distortion and a dynamic range of 102dB (A-weighted)."

Dawn Birr, Product Manager for Neumann/USA adds that suggested retail price in the U.S. will be $1699.- including shock mount (my guess: ca. $1499.- 'officially sanctioned' street price), and that already 300 pieces were sold so far.

The initial product guide mentioned that it was a "tube" mic, which it is not.  I have just received the corrected release and included it as JPEG:

This is page one. Neumann's TLM 49 product guide continues a couple of posts further down...
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Oliver Archut

Re: New Neumann TLM 49 (Neumann Press Release)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 02:18:06 PM »

Hello Klaus,

that is really good news, let's hope that they follow up with a "TLM 47" so that we finally can lay all those 50 year old junk mics to rest!

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Barry Hufker

Re: New Neumann TLM 49 (Neumann Press Release)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:09:05 PM »

May I have all those 50 year old junk mics please??

BTW, is this new mic tube or solid state?  And if tube, is the power supply better made than the one for the M149?

Barry

the power supply does not come standard (but several types are listed as accessory options.)

The original literature I copied above (which I will replace, as soon as I get the upoload from Sennheiser) mentions the word "TUBE" but only once.  I confirmed it with Neumann today: THIS IS A SOLID STATE MIC, NOT A TUBE MIC!

compasspnt

Re: New Neumann TLM 49
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:11:49 PM »

Two things grabbed my attention right away.

First, thank goodness it has a "retro look!"  That works for me.

And second, thank goodness there is no old fashioned transformer in it to "go bad!"

I note that they are marketing it as a home recordist, semi-pro mic, from the very beginning!

All of this is very reassuring to me.  I can finally (as Oliver already mentioned) throw away my tiresome old M-49 pair, yet still look retro.

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:53:57 PM »

Some time in this thread,  "Let's Say, You Get a Meeting With a Neumann Executive... [message #89430 is a reply to message #87800 ] I wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 15:32 the following:

- A new large membrane mike, call it the TLM 148.(149+147)/2=148. The microphone should be solid state, have the K49 capsule, and be switchable between the cardioid of the classic U47Fet and the cardioid of the M49. .... when this microphone can be put on the market for the price of the TLM127 or less. ....

I cannot believe it, hurray !

Erik Sikkema

P.S. But which cardioid setting has Neumann decided for, the "warmer" more cardioid one from the M49 or the more hyper cardioid one from the U47? (in other words, do they use a bit from the backmembrane?)
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Klaus Heyne

More Neumann TLM 49 specs
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:39:09 PM »

continuing, from first page of sales brochure:
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »

and finally:
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

matucha

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:04:45 PM »

and finally... how does it sound?

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 08:29:04 PM »

Let me guess...like a 149 in cardioid, except maybe quieter because the rear membrane of the capsule is not electrically active.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

Markus Sauschlager

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »

matucha wrote on Thu, 06 April 2006 02:04

and finally... how does it sound?

...rich, powerful and brilliant, while remaining balanced and transparent (at least on vocals)- so says the sales brochure!

And probably the first TLM with a max. SPL of a low 114dB! Shocked  

So recording high SPL sources with it may be a problem...

But a retrofit tube preamp like the one Innertube Audio offers for the U87 could be nice.
Markus Sauschlager

- Schauma amal, dann werma schon sehen... -

"...and do not forget that marketing is b.s. with a sugar coating." - O. Archut, 06 March 2009

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 12:13:43 AM »

I smell a shootout in the making!  TLM49 vs. M49.  I'll give Dawn a call.  

To misquote Casey Kasem:

"Is Dawn on the phone?  Get Dawn on the phone!"
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 03:38:54 AM »

AlanS wrote:"Let me guess...like a 149 in cardioid, except maybe quieter because the rear membrane of the capsule is not electrically active."

When you talk specifically about the cardioid setting of the M149, then the rear membrane IS active, that is about the biggest difference between the M147 and M149.

BTW, the TLM 49 has a quit high noise level of 12 dB ref to 1 Pa, compared to all other newly designed Neumann LDM, and a low 114dBA max. level for 0,5 % harmoonic distortion. This suprises me bit. In the techincal doc the word "retro" is used, is this a microphone with a simple FET input stage, no DC-DC converter, 48 V max as capsule bias, therefore the worse specs? Is this a U47FET with TLM output?

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Markus Sauschlager

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 06:15:36 AM »

I think Neumann made a quite clever decision.

Take the housing of the M150 (that gets cheaper with increasing production volume), add the K47 and add a cheapo circuitboard like the one in the TLM103. Viol
Markus Sauschlager

- Schauma amal, dann werma schon sehen... -

"...and do not forget that marketing is b.s. with a sugar coating." - O. Archut, 06 March 2009

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 06:33:54 AM »

Markus wrote:"...add the K47 and add a cheapo circuitboard like the one in the TLM103. Viol

Tim Campbell

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 02:55:15 PM »

The higher self noise is probably on account of the fact that the K47 capsule doesn't have as hot an output as K67/K87 designed capsules.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.