R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patch Bay Problems  (Read 1318 times)

Iain Graham

Patch Bay Problems
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:09:38 AM »

Hello all, we moved into new premises in the middle of January and hit the ground running. Meaning we didn't get a proper chance to test our bantam patch bay. It was actually finished after we opened.

Last week we had a session where the client used different convertion for our PT HD rig, meaning our I/O setup changed. Of course, that meant using the patch bay to cross patch from the different outputs we were using to the inputs of the headphone amps. The outputs are usually normalled straight through, and work fine.

Except it didn't quite go as smoothly as that when I cross patched.

2 of the stereo mixes were doing something odd, and I could manipulate this with the patch cables. On both of the, if I plugged the cables in properly, the stereo image was skewed.  For example, I had to pan the bass 50 points to the left in the bass players mix to get the bass in the centre of the cans. If I monitored the mix in the desk, it was as I had panned it in the first place.

Pulling one of the cables half out, so that the tip of the bantam jack was sitting on the screen contact of the patch bay also helped that.

That's what I didn for the singers mix. It worked fine til it lost contact on the 5th day if the session. Not good.

What I want to know is, what exactly is that fault in the bay? Is it simply a hot and cold have been crossed?

We had a smiliar issue with the outputs of the other interface, which were normalled to the inputs of the D-Command. As we have still to put the extra cabling in for the surround speakers, I've not had a chance to check that out properly, but I think it's the same thing.

Or is it something in the normalling?

I didn't solder the bay, I merely left instructions as I was away over the period it was being soldered.

Thanks for any help,

Iain
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

David Kulka

Re: Patch Bay Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:06:24 PM »

Obviously something is miswired, it's hard to give a definitive answer and say just what.  There may be a broken wire, a short, a low or high shorted to ground...hard to say.

If the person who did the wiring is halfway technical they will probably be able to troubleshoot it and correct the problem.  If not, you probably need to have someone who is halfway technical come in and sort it out.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 16 queries.