R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What EDITING software to use?  (Read 9246 times)

Max Ross

What EDITING software to use?
« on: February 25, 2006, 07:45:23 PM »

I have no problems recording all the audio stuff.  What I need is the best software for editing on a PC.  My PC has plenty of power and all the hardware needed.  I've worked with various different software and wanted to know what everyone else thought.  I was going to go toward Protools but it gave me shitfits on another PC.  I've also used Steinbergs Cubase, Sonic Foundary's software and Fruity Loops.  I want pick a software for strictly editing and mixing.  What would be the best and most compatible for the PC? I'm runnig WinXP with all the updates.  The computer is fine and I know its working well.  I worked IT for a while and know comps well and so when Protools had shitfits it wasn't the comp.  Any recommendations?  I'm looking at Protools, Cubase or maybe another software but not sure which is best with PC.  For right now nothing too complicated as the requests I'm getting are most basic and would only involve 4 tracks give or take a track.  Also I need to make sure that the audio projects can be inserted into Final Cut Pro for the Mac that someone else uses.

Thanks

MR
If force doesn't work - you didn't use enough!

NoWo

Re: What EDITING software to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 01:38:54 AM »

Hi Max,

what do you mean with shitfits?

As you are speaking of only 4 tracks and Final Cut you are going to do some audio for video sweetening I assume.

Okay, no audio project out of any software will ever fit into a video cutting software. Your term audio project is irritating here. What do you mean with that?
And you have the platform change against you, PC/Mac, which doesn

Max Ross

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:53:26 PM »

When I tried the demo of PT, it froze, gave corruption errors and then finally crashed the PC I tested it on.  There's nothing wrong with the PC.  I'm a PC user myself.  My current rig is running WinXP.  I read along these forums that PT does not work well with PC but does work well with Mac.  From what I've seen I've gotta assume it's true (Crashing PC).  I have someone that does video editing with Final Cut Pro.  They need someone to edit the audio tracks.  Also I want to be able to adjust Hi's, Bass, Reverb, etc to any track that is recorded.  Something that I would like to do extra is to filter and split the different voices/ sounds that are on a recording.  Meaning I want to be able to isolate each sound into their own wav to clean up a recording.  I want to be able to take the audio tracks from the DAT player I use or from the recordings I do at the studio and edit the stuff on my PC.  The platform change isn't an issue.  The audio .wav works w/o a prob on the Mac and PC interchangably.  Since I want to work with PC and PT seems to crash the PC, I need to know what other editing software you guys recommend.  I like protools as I can take clips from various voice overs and cut and paste on the same track which I wasn't able to do on some of the older software I was running.  I like what PT can DO, but not the fact that it seems to crash the PC.  So before I invest $200-$500, I'd like to make sure the software is going to be compatible.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope this makes sense thanks for your help.

Max

NoWo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 05:01:40 PM »

Hi

Max Ross

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:11:53 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I use Fuity Loops for fun.  Not for any pro work.  It looks like the SE or SX might be the best option. What does the PT7-M have that Cubase is lacking in that I would notice when trying edit and manipulate the wavs for production?  One other thing:  These are the hardware specs of my current rig.  I wanted to know if you thought I should get more power:

Pent 4, 2.2GHz, 1 GIG RAM, 256MB Nvidia Card, 240 GB HDD, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum card and interface.  

Thanks again.  

Max

NoWo

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 04:03:33 PM »

Hi Max,

I don

tamasdragon

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 04:23:11 AM »

May I disagree here? I think nuendo's automation is much better than protools' one. Of course it could be personal taste.
Regards Tamas Dragon

NoWo

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 08:03:38 AM »

[quote title=tamasdragon wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 09:23]May I disagree here?

Why not?

I too have not a single problem with Steinberg

MicroStudio

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:25:35 PM »

I use SAWStudio for Audio and MWS for Midi.

They work great for me and the sound speaks for itself.
Learn SAWStudio & MWS
www.thessvideoes.com

fedro

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 04:26:44 AM »

Max Ross wrote on Sat, 25 February 2006 18:45

I have no problems recording all the audio stuff.  What I need is the best software for editing on a PC.  My PC has plenty of power and all the hardware needed.  I've worked with various different software and wanted to know what everyone else thought.  I was going to go toward Protools but it gave me shitfits on another PC.  I've also used Steinbergs Cubase, Sonic Foundary's software and Fruity Loops.  I want pick a software for strictly editing and mixing.  What would be the best and most compatible for the PC? I'm runnig WinXP with all the updates.  The computer is fine and I know its working well.  I worked IT for a while and know comps well and so when Protools had shitfits it wasn't the comp.  Any recommendations?  I'm looking at Protools, Cubase or maybe another software but not sure which is best with PC.  For right now nothing too complicated as the requests I'm getting are most basic and would only involve 4 tracks give or take a track.  Also I need to make sure that the audio projects can be inserted into Final Cut Pro for the Mac that someone else uses.

Thanks

MR

Try using http://www.fleximusic.com/composer/overview.htm, a multi-track program for composing, editing and mixing of music using sampled instrument sounds.

Fox

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »

How about Adobe Audition? it's made to work with Final Cut Pro, and they can even be bought together in a bundle. It's a great editor, but as a mixer it leaves something to be desired. However if all you want to do is some basic level adjustments and EQ tweaks, this will more than fit the bill. It has an amazing noise reduction algorithm built-in which to me is worth the price on it's own.

Best wishes,

Fox

jdier

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »

Just to further muddy the waters, I will suggest you give Reaper a go.   www.reaper.fm

You can run it for free for a while to see if you like it.  Be warned that the editing tools take some getting used to, but it is a very capable program.  If you like limitless routing options, you might get hooked quickly.
jdier - Home recordist

(currently selling one of my dual Great River preamps)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.