R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: to recone or not to recone  (Read 3060 times)

absolutkj

to recone or not to recone
« on: February 18, 2006, 03:06:06 PM »

A few weeks ago, my vintage Fender 5C3 Deluxe started distorting at low volume.  I found that my problem is the speaker (an original Jensen P12R).  So the thing is, should I send the speaker to someone to recone it (or refurbish), or put it away in storage and buy a new weber speaker.  I'm guessing the value of the amp would drop either way from reconing or replacing, but really I'm just looking for what will give me the best sound.  If the choice is to recone would anyone know of a good place to go to in NYC?  I know that John is in the city here, so maybe he knows of a place?  Thanks.  This amp used to sound so sweet, so hopefully that tone will come back again.  

John Klett

Re: to recone or not to recone
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 06:59:39 PM »

I'm not sure how the value of an original Jensen P12R in good shape would compare to that of one that was reconed...

I am not a guitar amp tech but one of the guys here has been buying Weber speakers and he is pretty happy with how they sound in comparison to the original speakers.  As far as reconing the Jensen...  are the correct parts available?
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

absolutkj

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 10:25:37 PM »

I've been searching for NOS speaker parts or spare Jensen P12R speakers, and I haven't found a single original, although they do manufacture a remake of the P12R, but I doubt that sounds anything like the original.  

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 10:28:59 PM »

I have been through this and through this.

Reconing the speaker will cost as much as, if not more than, a new Weber or Jensen Vintage P12R (see link below).  My recommendation is to put away the old one (keep it of course, in case you do sell the amp..at least you have the original part then), and buy the new ones to use.  And then if you ever do want to "go back to original," you can still recone it.

Here's a shootout report:

http://www.webervst.com/bt9908.htm

A great place to get guitar and amp parts is Angela Instruments.  I've used them for probably 20 years.  Steve there is great!

http://www.angela.com

Best of luck!

Terry

absolutkj

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »

Thanks a lot for the advice, Terry!

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »

But note that the shootout link above is hosted by one of the manufacturers.  They may unfairly trash the 'new' Jensen's, and they may not.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:14:26 PM »

I've been down this road a few times too...

The new reissue Jensens have nothing in common with the old ones, other than the look.  Not recommended... though not as bad as some people say either - I had one of their 8" and it was not bad... but certainly not great either.

I put a weber in my 5E3 clone, I think it was a 12a 125.  I like it, and would recommend it.  That's Ted Weber...  webervst.com  Probably the most historically accurate thing available right now.

If you decide to go against the "historic" route, avatarspeakers.com has great prices on raw Eminence and Celestions.  

One more thing - I was able to get a champ speaker reconed by Gerald Weber, who had the correct vintage parts - not sure if he has the cones for a 12" though.  http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com.

Some people have mixed feelings about Gerald, but I like him.  Not cheap, though...

I think if you can find the correct cone, I would go ahead and recone.  You've already lost the "collector value" of the speaker by blowing it - reconing it is not going to make it worth less than if it were blown.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 16 queries.