R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: What's so good about valve microphones?  (Read 43307 times)

Teddy G.

Re: What's so good about valve microphones?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 12:04:52 AM »

I don't care, long as it works!

For my first 5 years in the biz, my favorite mic was the EV RE-20(A dynamic). Then it was the RCA BK5(A ribbon), for another 10. Then, about 20 years ago, I tried an AKG C414, solid-state condenser(Against the RE-20, not the, then unavailable, BK5) and it became my favorite(Neuman's never "worked" for me.). That's the way it was until about a month ago, when I tried a Brauner Valvet. Now, it's my favorite. Of course, it's also possible that the Millenia Media solid-state preamp had something, or alot, to do with it? Though the Millenia's "addition" would have to be a "combo" thing? I've used lots of mics through the Millenia and never heard "it" until the Brauner..? Wonder what the Brauner would sound like through a millenia tube pre? Still, I like to have an RE-20 around - it has it's uses and then some.

Tubes/Schmoobs - what's it sound like?

TG

Ronny

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 03:45:16 AM »

danlavry wrote on Fri, 10 February 2006 15:44

The tube lovers want us engineers to be open minded to statements such as "I like it but I do not know exactly why". It is only fair to ask the tube lovers to be open minded to the possibility that tube like distortions can be made with circuits based on semiconductor technology, digital computer modeling technology and the rest of electronics...

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com  

Ever thought about getting into guitar amp modeling, Dan? They could use a lot of help.

First ss guitar amp that I heard that sounded like a tube amp was the Carvin Pro Lead 150 back around 1982, technology has been around awhile for solid state to emulate tube distortion for amps, but the modeling processors have a lot to be desired. They are getting close to the B3 sound with synths and horns are getting better, but still no cigar on stringed instruments and amp modeling, IMHO.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

maxdimario

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 11:59:52 AM »

Quote:

Tubes tend to be much nosier then transistors and FETs. Tubes age very fast... And if you like the sound, that is subjective, not a technical comment.

All circuits based on tubes, transistors, FET's and Opamps Begin with parts containing some degree of non linearity, and the circuit design does correct for the non linearity to some degree, most often by use of negative feedback. Many tubes circuits have been incorporating feedback from day one (over a hindered years ago), and a tube designer knows that the reason for using feedback sparingly has been the fact that tubes have VERY LIMITED OPEN LOOP GAIN, thus tubes offer LIMITED AMOUNT OF NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. There is a TRAD OFF between circuit gain (closed loop) and linearity (more feedback).

What tubes are you talking about?

One EF804s can provide more gain with less noise than 1 trasistor or fet.

Funny that V76 or v77 preamps when working properly have an extremely high S/N ratio... all with 4 (v76) and 2 (v77) active components in total.

These are noise specs that transistor pres only dream of.. unless they use 8 or 10, or in the case of opamps, 25 to 100 active components in the signal path.

there are plenty of tubes of special quality that meet and exceed fet devices as far as linearity and noise.

High mu triodes and pentodes don't have limited open-loop gain.

does a transistor (one in number) utilized at high gain sound good? NO.. transistors are excellent switches for the same reasons.

does a tube (one) utilized at high gain sound good? YES.. depending on the QUALITY of the tube and the components around it.

anyway the proof is in the results.

you can build a simple amplifier suitable for music reproduction with a tube, a plate resistor linked to High Voltage, a grid resistor linked to a negative bias voltage and cathode to ground.

you can't do the same thing with a transistor.

with a fet you CAN build a similar circuit but there is a higher amount of distortion, and it a grating harsch distortion.

Early transistor designs, based on the simple concepts used in tube amps, sounded like crap, which is why engineers began to invent a whole bunch of ways to make them sound better by utilizing more active components to share the overall gain and current amplification.

preamp (low current) tubes can last for decades.

The 'cleanliness' of transistor devices lies in the amount of engineering and component count involved in making transistors suitable for passing a music signal.

since transistors are cheap, you can use as many as you like, splitting the total gain in many stages and keeping the internal impedances low.

but in a microphone every detail, including the distortion artifacts, gets amplified hundreds of times, so it's a good real-world display of what different active components really sound like.

danlavry

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Sat, 11 February 2006 16:59

Quote:

Tubes tend to be much nosier then transistors and FETs. Tubes age very fast... And if you like the sound, that is subjective, not a technical comment.

What tubes are you talking about?

One EF804s can provide more gain with less noise than 1 trasistor or fet....

You said:

“What tubes are you talking about?
One EF804s can provide more gain with less noise than 1 transistor or fet.”
These are noise specs that transistor pres only dream of.. unless they use 8 or 10, or in the case of opamps, 25 to 100 active components in the signal path.

I say:

You missed my point completely. You are still talking about a device, and I am talking about a device in a circuit!  One can have, for example, a transistor, or a FET or an opamp with noise specs of less then 1nV/sqrt HZ (by the way it is better then any tube I know), and  of course one needs to account for noise current nA/sqrtHz (very tiny for FET). Still, it DOES NOT ADDRESS THE END RESULT! Take a state of the art transistor with say 1nV/sqrtHz and 2nA/sqrtHz, and put it in a mic pre circuit, with a mic impedance of say 150 Ohms, and the noise is swamped by  the resistance. A 150 Ohm resistance by itself is 1.56nV/sqrtHz at room temperature. Add to it the effect of the noise current, and you have another 3nV/sqrtHz. The combined noise figure is now 3.5nV/sqrtHz. Take the resistance out of the circuit and you end up with 1nV/sqrtHz.
So there is little value in looking at the device in a theoretical zero Ohm circuit. The shorted input yields .144uV over 20KHz, but with a good mic resistance (150 Ohms) you get .5uV, a loss of nearly 11dB.

And while at it, instead of claiming “open ended” claims that “one EF804 is…. “ come back with the DATA (real numbers) for both noise and gain. I believe you will be surprised. What I see in the data sheet for EF804S is a specification of 2uV for 25Hz to 10KHz bandwidth, so it is already WAY OVER over a state of the art transistor, even before you put it in a circuit, and at 1/2 the bandwidth. Now lets look at the gain. Say we have between 100 and 180V plate voltage, then the most you can get is about 1.5mA per volt change in the grid – that is gm = 1.5mA/V. Of course that is when running up to 3mA current. In reality that is too much (still VERY LOW COMPARED TO AVARAGE FET), and at typical current less then 1mA, the gm is lower, about 1mA/V…

To talk about gain, you must specify a load resistance! Lets go for 200KOhm (pretty typical), so the voltage gain is A=gm *RL = .001 * 200000 = 200, no more! That is low open loop gain!!!  Take a circuit made of 3 transistors, each one with hfe = 25 minimum, the combination has a potential of 25*25*25 = 15000 gain, all for 30 cents in parts. Some opamps (made of transistors inside) yield 1000000 (a million) open loop voltage gain. In fact, most modern FET single devices yield much more gain then your tube, and again, it is NOT ABOUT STAND ALONE DEVICES, IT IS ABOUT CIRCUITS AND RESULTS.

You said:

“High mu triodes and pentodes don't have limited open-loop gain.”

I say:

Please revisit that statement. You are simply very wrong. “High mu” is a relative term. In the days of tubes, going from a mu of 25 to 35 was a big deal. We have come some ways from the days of selenium rectifiers Smile

You said:

“does a transistor (one in number) utilized at high gain sound good? NO.. transistors are excellent switches for the same reasons.”

That is a SUBJECTIVE STATEMENT!
Again:
AND again:

You seem too intent on staying on your messege, no matter what, to the point of refusing to register what I said. I am an older engineer. I started with electronics in the tube days, before transistors, therefore I am familiar with tubes. Your statements have no teeth.

When you state subjective opinions about what what sounds good, you go against the rules of this technical forum.

When you state technical statements, you are stating WRONG FACTS. I looked at the tube data and I am a circuit designer, so what I say holds, unless my calculations and my reading of the data sheet are wrong (they are not wrong).

I am open to be chalanged ON THE FACTS, though I do not belive a real design engineer, capable of understanding data, circuits and and signals, and quantifying things can chalange me. I am not into "loving or hating" devices. I am into objective technical facts.  

I put some of my valuable time into this post. I would expect any further arguments to be backed up by some real study, going beyond just throwing of subjective preferences and  
“relative terms” with no reference for comparisons.

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com

Teddy G.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 01:15:26 AM »

Just to stop for a minute, here...

"...Tubes were usurped by transistors due to cost, size, etc."(Not a quote!)..

Were they? Yeah, sure. "Total cost", really. THE SAME THING(An AM radio for the kitchen, a practical space craft.) was almost wildly more efficient to build and operate. There is no end to at least the "practical advantages" of the transistor over mid-20th. century tube technology - which is where we are now, in tube-tech. Anyone have knowledge of how big a Pentium 4 processor would be, if constructed using "50's" tube design? Still, I'm not sure that even now one can build a truly practical 50,000 watt, solid-state transmitter for a clear-channel AM radio station(Then again, who listens to 50kw, clear-channel AM radio stations anymore?)?

Another strong reason for the move from tube to transistor? I have a theory - or at least a "fun" thought...

AT&T was a pretty big company... They must have used alot of tubes? Far as I know AT&T had to buy all their tubes from others(RCA, Sylvania, etc.). When AT&T(Bell Labs) came up with the transistor, all this changed... Now, not only did AT&T not have to buy tubes from outsiders, they even(Even... Ha!) got to license the transistor technology back to those same manufacturing companies from which they had purchased tubes. What a deal! Certainly, AT&T, alone(Not just with their invention but the "purchasing power/needs/technical furtherence abilities" of that single company itself!), had alot to do with at least the "speed" as well as the depth of the transistor transition? Though it was still 40 years before tubes were finally "dead" for almost all purposes(Even rather higher power devices like most BC xmttrs - of the 1kw kind, for instance, which until recently used several "quart bottle-sized" tubes and which, are now "complete-on-a-desk-top-size" units -- about the size of a large PC.). Matter of fact, the tubes' "total death"(Meaning here, no longer having, or having almost no "necessary" purpose, in any application, at least of a "normal" high-volume manufacturing/commercial or consumer nature.), came at just about the time(Early 90's?) as it's "revival" with the beginnings of "new" tube gear being released -- coinincidently(I'm sure) at just about the time that AT&T(Bell Labs), essentially, "died", or was in it's death throws, itself.

Of course, tubes never really "died", they never stopped doing what they do, they just stopped being a subject of truly major manufacturing(thus consumer/broad technical use, "parts" to make them work - high voltage xfmrs, etc., and furtherence of the "entire" technology and it's support structure "died", also.). With no major support(Mostly the support of millions of consumer-type devices to use a technology and support it's furtherence.), vacuum tubes were and are, indeed, dead.). Does that make it a "bad technology" or one that "can't compete" with modern technology. Well, bad, no. Can't compete? Yes - tube tech of the mid-1900's cannot compete. Are tubes "better" at anything? It no longer matters. Might as well argue the good/bad points of buggy whips. Matter of fact, designing, manufacturing and selling a "better" buggy whip would be a whole lot easier(Probably being done!? "Horse people have money!), though I'm sure PETA, would scream and cry - much as environmentalists would react in horror, if RCA "re-started" making tubes by the millions using the "same old tech". NO ONE is making "better" tubes. For that matter, NO ONE is making "better" recording tape(Seems an "allied" topic, for almost all of the same reasons?). Tube/Tape "bettering" is not something one can do in the "home shop"(Or at least no one has said they are doing so now - or at least have "backed-up" what they've said with any better supply.) and there is no more RCA and "The New AT&T" is not AT&T, by any stretch of the imagination and what there is left of it is, very happily I'm sure, all solid-state...

So, why does that Valvet sound so darned good - years after it's "tube"(I suppose?) was manufactured..? The technology is dead! For sure, one reason is that like so many technologies, tubes to camera film, did absolutely get to wonderful standards of quality and performance - though with "technical" tubes and film(Very low amounts produced for v-e-r-y specific purposes, NEVER even intended to be "recouped" financially by their-own sales -- the movies could NEVER have afforded to use Kodak's fabulous 35mm film(To say NOTHING about 70mm!), if so many consumers hadn't been cutting Auntie Fran's head off, so often using Kodak's consumer film by the billions and billions and billions(To borrow a phrase) of frames. Recording tape? There would never have been Ampex Grandmaster without the simple audio cassette to "backup" the "pro" tech R&D. Tubes and it's technology? Never really did make even a dent in the "world-buck" state of things.  Yeah, lots of folks had a big radio, maybe a record player, but not until solid state did consumers load each and every corner of their lives with electronic gadgets. "Pro's", of several and sundry varients where truly "lucky" just to have what they did, when they did. Still, along with very well documented "how too" information, and alot of the "remnants" around???(Lots of manufacturers apparently  caught entirely unaware of just how fast transistors would take over! And the manufacturers of these tubes made them by the millions! By the time RCA could shutdown the 6146b machine, here in Lancaster, PA - union agreements, dumb management and all - they had probably made an "extra" 150 million of them, I suppose...)((By the way: A simple request to an RCA worker/friend, a few years ago - in the IT department - got me 2 of the last 4, 6146b's, in the basement of the old RCA factory, "brand new", in the lovely red and white boxes. Pays to ask! They reside, and I get "great audio" compliments from it/them(?) - in my old Kenwood TS820.)). Still, the supply of many, many tubes we are trying to use - to make a living with, for God's sake, is finite, at best - rotting away at worst. There will be no more - certainly, no better - unless you..??? No, I didn't think so.  

In the end, tube or transistor, tape or film, it's the design and build of a piece that determines how it works(A great "film" is a great film, whether shot on film or made digitally.). Nothing to say(At least from me) that Mr. Brauner couldn't build a SS mic that would sound exactly the same as his tube Valvet. Harder to charge big money for it as the "romance of the tube" wouldn't be there? Still, today, if I get the 3 G's, I'll buy one of the Valvets, as I've never heard any mic "do me" so well(Is it me? Or is it Memorex? Or is it dreaming..?). 'Scuse me if I keep an AKG C414 as a "backup" and an RE-20 to back that up.  

Tubes are dead, long live the tubes.

Teddy G.

Back to the argument, I'm learning alot!

maxdimario

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 02:13:09 PM »

Quote:

You said:

“does a transistor (one in number) utilized at high gain sound good? NO.. transistors are excellent switches for the same reasons.”

Again:

With a very small change in voltage, a transistor can go from a non-conductive state to a fully conductive state with a very low impedance, compared to tubes.

Tubes need more input voltage to work and they have a higher impedance so most tubes can't be used for switching purposes as well as transistors (although there are some specially designed tubes which were designed for that purpose).

this makes transistors ideal for switching relays on and off, for example, or in logic circuits, or to shunt a signal to ground depending on a control voltage.

if the transistor is used as a simple amplifier, where the full gain of the transistor is used in it's relative circuit with no feedback (say 200 times)will the results be acceptable from an audio standpoint? How about noise?

In tube mics, the only type of transistor that can be used possibly is the FET.

does a FET have a gain which is superior to a tube?

what has better inherent linearity over a wider input voltage, a FET with no feedback, or a special audio tube with no feedback?

What are the technical differences (S/N, Headroom, distortion) between a fet in a no-feedback circuit, and a tube (neumann tube quality) in a no-feedback circuit?

I am not slagging transistors for all applications, as there are indeed some great transistor designs (all of which are very simple circuits), but to say that tubes are noisier and more distorted is a fallacy.

12ax7's and the like are NOT audio tubes, they are cheap miniature tubes.

Ronny

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 03:24:08 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Sun, 12 February 2006 14:13

12ax7's and the like are NOT audio tubes, they are cheap miniature tubes.

Oh, brother. Tubes have to be a certain size now to qualify.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------