R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Subwoofers and Latency?  (Read 1063 times)

dave-G

Digital Subwoofers and Latency?
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:51:17 AM »

The "must have been sleeping" thread reminded me of a quick question for those of you using digital subs like the Velodynes ..  

As I understand it, they process the signal with DSP..   And so -- how do you reconcile the latency that must come from the conversion and DSP processing inside these boxes?  I'm sure it might be minimal, but if your main monitors are not digital and not delayed to compensate -- then aren't you playing with time down there?

I guess if you're using the onboard feedthroughs/highpasses, they might incur the same latency -- but then aren't you feeding your whole monitoring chain through whatever AD/DA and DSP is in the box, after such careful consideration of the monitor DA you're feeding it with in the first place?

Am I missing something?  Edumacate me, please.

-dave G(reenberg)
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

zetterstroem

Re: Digital Subwoofers and Latency?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »

you're absolutely right....

latency is induced... at least 2mS (+DSP) i would say
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

bblackwood

Re: Digital Subwoofers and Latency?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:00:52 AM »

My experience is that it doesn't matter - I suppose placement takes that into effect as after I got mine properly placed, the bass is incredibly solid and tight with no audible weirdness in the crossover range nor and sense of lag in the bottom end...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 16 queries.