R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-track tape machine recommendation  (Read 1883 times)

ricknroll

2-track tape machine recommendation
« on: January 09, 2006, 04:21:03 PM »

I bought a Revox PR99 (MK I) a couple of years ago, but because it has a problem in record mode that 3 different techs have been unable to fix, I'm probably going to dump the machine and get something else.  The only thing I really don't like about the Revox is that its EQ standard is fixed at NAB and it would be nice to be able to at least have the option of trying IEC since I don't use (nor do I want to) any noise reduction.  Any recommendations for affordable (i.e., under $1k) used 2-track tape machines?  I've seen some Studers on eBay but don't know anything about the different model numbers.

Thanks,

Rick

Linear

Re: 2-track tape machine recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »

I've both an Ampex ATR and two Studer B67s. The B67 is a very competent and underappreciated machine IMHO.

They were sold to radio stations by the hundred, and therefore they go quite cheaply - I picked up two for under $200 from the ABC. You need to get them thoroughly worked over by a tech, which is why it's a good idea to have two or three so you can make one good machine and have the others as spares.

I don't know much about other Studers, but I would recommend a B67 in the bang-for-your-buck stakes. It's no ATR, but is at least 70% there.

Chris
http://www.linear-recording.com.au

"Fashions change, the laws of physics don't"
Steve Dove
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.