R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering is the stage where the mixes are ruined  (Read 20835 times)

zakco

• Real Full Name: Zak Cohen
Re: Mastering is the stage where the mixes are ruined
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »

I think it might have begun when someone back in the 60's said, lets make this cut louder so it
sounds louder than the competing labels records, enter Fairchild compressor 670 over the top.

Sure...but I would venture to guess that the approach was more "Lets see how loud we can make it without changing the mix and pissing off the producer" rather than "Lets completely transform this record both dynamically and tonally at the expense of the producers vision"

Maybe I'm way off here...

zakco

• Real Full Name: Zak Cohen
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »

if you were the guy who did this mix, would your heart sink when you saw the mastered waveform?
That waveform wouldn't necessarily make my heart sink...that is if it sounded good. I am always amazed at how loud a good ME can actually go without destroying a mix. They seem to be able to push it much farther than I can, that's for sure!

Table Of Tone

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »

That waveform wouldn't necessarily make my heart sink...that is if it sounded good. I am always amazed at how loud a good ME can actually go without destroying a mix. They seem to be able to push it much farther than I can, that's for sure!
That's true but having said that, it's because we've had a lot of practice at going loud because the client has nearly always pushed for the max!

I guess that's just the way the industry is?

If I can convince the client that loud is not always the way to go, I will always be happier for sure!

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »

Sometimes, or quite often .. the mixes are so loud, that it gets difficult to squeeze more gain into them, without destroying, altering or smashing it to bits, before one satisfies the clients inevitable need for masters to be extra ordinarily louder than the mix given..

Plus, as  a mixer myself, I find it astonishing how so many mixes or mix engineers, knowing what they’ve done (pushed it beyond need), still expect miracles from the Mastering engineer or the mastering process itself.

The apathy and imposed ignorance shown is annoying and difficult as a task set.

Me, I am frank blatant and upfront regarding these sort of mix constraint,. as I mix a lot myself, and I know what’s being asked of the Mastering engineer is ridiculous and with diminishing returns. Period…

Ciao’
KAyo

www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.