R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: guitar mics  (Read 57668 times)

Bill_Urick

Re: guitar mics
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 05:45:45 AM »

Try a KM86 as well.
In combination with a dynamic or ribbon.

Andrew Sweeney

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 06:10:22 AM »

The AEA R92 can work well for me on a guitar cab, especially my Boogie MKIII through a XL series Hartke 4X12. It does nice things to the high-end and also has less proximity effect than other ribbons I've tried.

0dbfs

• Marketplace
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »

The R92 is good for getting close without the proximity taking over. With other ribbons, try rotating slightly to reduce some proximity effect.

Cheers,
jb

Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

touchsounds

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:11:55 PM »

I've got a Fathead II w the lundahl upgrade.  It's not too dark at all,.

You might wanna spring for having it modded, and maybe have the ribbon checked as well.  It's been a big winner in my studio.  Clients choose it over more expensive ribbons all the time.  I'm not saying it's the same quality as those mics, but it's great for a whole lot of applications.  And so far it's been pretty durable.
I think it's worth the investment.
Keith Saunders
TouchSounds LLC

Jason Thompson

• Real Full Name: Jason Thompson
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »

Hey J.

I still love that setup too. But the ALL BLACK e609 in place of the 57 sounds great on some amps. As for replacing the 421, a Beta 52 will give a much tighter low-end experience. I wonder if anyone on here has tried a 57/ATM25 combo?
Jason Thompson
[email protected]

Tone Laborer

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »

I have a Fathead IIs(stk) and it usually beats out my other choices which include at4050, e906, 57, VinJet w lundahl, Beyer m69. beta 57, and peluso 2247se.  Usually I'm right at the center cone, about 6-12 inches away, rotated 45 degrees off axis.

Sometimes I will run a brighter tone on the amp than I might live. I"m often doing cleaner tones so a little extra beef doesn't hurt.

One weird thing about the FHs--for some reason they are very difficult to phase with other mics. I've tried turning them backwards and positioning them until I'm blue in the face. They just never seem to phase right with the other mic.
Ed Ferguson
Freelance/private studio

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »

i've noticed the phase thing as well.  i've got my 57 working with it nicely though.  it just took a minute to get it in the right spot. 

i'll try turning the FH a touch off-axis to see what that yields, but the more i work with it, the more i'm liking it.

looks like i need to demo some mics.  lots of good ideas here.  thanks guys!  keep it coming.

anybody screw around with the speakers in their cabs?  i'm kinda wondering if the vintage 30's aren't a large part of my problem.  a guitar player friend here told me he prefers celestian 90's as they just let the amp "be the amp".

shhpeaceful

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »

am i doing something wrong with this thing?  the low end is MASSIVE, like unusable massive.

I've got one... discovered that immediately. I just back the mic off, but to be fair, I'm not using it for high-gain guitars.

stevengamel

• Real Full Name: Steven Gamel
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »

Sm57, SM7, Royers, SM58. That's the limit of my cab recording mic experience I'm afraid.

Podgorny

• Real Full Name: Kyle Mann
  • What 500-series mic pre works best as a door stop?
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »

anybody screw around with the speakers in their cabs?  i'm kinda wondering if the vintage 30's aren't a large part of my problem.  a guitar player friend here told me he prefers celestian 90's as they just let the amp "be the amp".

Horses for courses.

Greenbacks and creambacks can be brilliant.
So can G12t-75s.
And G12h-30s. The Avatar's Hellatones are great.
And Fanes. And JBLs. And those hemp-cone jobbies can be cool too.

But for dude-rock, I'd go for the Vintage 30 first.  What cabinet? That's a whole 'nother subject.  Mesa's oversized cabs consistently suck. No thank you.
And what exactly is it that you don't love about the sounds you're getting?
And most importantly of all, why are you asking US?

Andrew Sweeney

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »

As a guitar player I have never quite come to terms with speaker break up (e.g. vintage 30's). I tend to like E.V. 12" or Hartke aluminium 12" (which needs the e.q. on my amp to be treated a little differently). Having said that I have heard some great tones pulled with a vintage 30 but it does not seem to work with me and my amp. I suppose it can be a question of matching the amp with the speaker.

j.hall

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »

As a guitar player I have never quite come to terms with speaker break up (e.g. vintage 30's). I tend to like E.V. 12" or Hartke aluminium 12" (which needs the e.q. on my amp to be treated a little differently). Having said that I have heard some great tones pulled with a vintage 30 but it does not seem to work with me and my amp. I suppose it can be a question of matching the amp with the speaker.

using a marshall (park badged) 4x12.  i'm asking to just get some general ideas. 

i think what i'm after is impossible to describe with words.  Seether's "fallen" and "fake it" have high gain guitar tones that are awesome.

in general i'm feeling like every amp i use has a slightly honky tone.  i'm kinda wondering if it's the cab/speakers.

Podgorny

• Real Full Name: Kyle Mann
  • What 500-series mic pre works best as a door stop?
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »

Perhaps it's time for a shootout!

Borrow something with greenbacks, something with G12t-75s, and a different cab with V30s.  I have my suspicions that the (somewhat flimsy) newer Marshall cabs aren't so great with the higher-wattage speakers.  I always liked the V30s in my VHT 4x12.  And the Mills Acoustics cabinets are ridiculously overbuilt and sound great.

Also, I have no idea what was actually used for the seether record. You'd have to ask Marc VanGool, but it sounds like Channel 3 of a VH4 to me.

studjo

• Real Full Name: jo eberhard
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:02 AM »

no clue about speakers here ... I'm still confused by all the amps and mic choices :(

I really love the Royer 121 on my Fender amps. Another great mic the AEA R84 another flavor of the ribbon thing and when I have to make a distinction in all the different guitar tracks I record I might throw a condenser mic against on of the amps (AT 4050 is pretty sweet for that). I was a die hard Sm57 user but I haven't touched one for guitars for quite some time now ... and I've never been happier with the tones I got ...

iCombs

• Real Full Name: Ian Combs
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »

So I'm some kinda lunatic.  I must be.

I went as crazy as 4 mic guitar setups.  U87's.  Rear mics.  Room mics.

I've gone all the way back to a 57.  And nothing else.

And I couldn't be happier.

it HELPS that I've been tracking nothing but money amps lately (Soldano, Cornford, Orange, Marshall, old-ass Fender)...but I've gone all the way back to just not FAFFING ABOUT (new favorite British expression) and sticking a mic on it that I like, and that I know well and know WHAT I CAN DO with the damn thing once I get it recorded.

FWIW...my FAVORITE guitar speaker is still the Celestion Greenback.  It sounds like rock guitar ro me.  The V30 is a close second...it's tighter and brighter and doesn't break up as fast.  I'm lucky enough to have a 4x12 loaded with each at my disposal ATM...and I've found that some of the heads I've got (Soldano, sometimes Cornford) sound best through the Soldano cabinet that's loaded with V30s...and other heads (Marshall, Orange, sometimes Cornford) sound better through the Carvin Legacy cab with Greenbacks (mine's from the first run...before they switched to V30's).

If it was a blind date thing, though...I'd reach for the Greenbacks first a good 80% of the time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.