R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: guitar mics  (Read 57686 times)

j.hall

guitar mics
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »

looking for a new flavor for high gain rock tones.  no need for amps, we have plenty, and good cabs.  just looking to improve the mics.

i keep hearing great things about the cascade fathead.

right now i use a 421 and 57 summed to one input.  probably going to keep the 57 and change out the 421.

i'm open to suggestion..

kittonian

Re: guitar mics
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:05 PM »

You can't really go wrong with a Royer 121. It's probably my all time favorite guitar mic. The Coles 4038 is also really amazing.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for the latest news and gear specials by clicking here

AudioLot is now located in Los Angeles, CA.

If you're in the LA area and are interested in coming by to see any of the gear we carry in person, please let us know.

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »

I also like, in addition to the Royer and the 421, to use the Shure SM7 (NOT the SM7A or B). Also, if you use a Coles be SURE to NOT get it too close to the Amp. The Royer can take much more level. Haven't used a 57 on gtrs for years... MUCH too painful. Sometime I find the AKG 414 useful on gtrs since they sound like they have a built in compressor. My other go to mike, especially for drop tunings, is the old and venerable dynamic AKG D12 (NOT the D112). Best of Luck, Saint
Blue Skies!  Saint

carloff

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »

also beyer M160 and AEA R84 are every nice  for el.guitar.

Prabha

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »

The AT4050 can be very nice on guitar amps, it won't be brighter than a 421, and most of the times the sound will be well balanced. Actually in this application it sounds completely different to what you might expect from it compared to what it does on acoustic instruments.
Juan Pablo Quezada
www.santuariosonico.cl

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »

i picked up a fathead for pretty cheap (the stock one, not the lundahl upgrade).  am i doing something wrong with this thing?  the low end is MASSIVE, like unusable massive.  and the top is really dark.  i know it's a ribbon, but come on.......when i sum it with a 57 it's pretty cool, but it just seems out of control.  thoughts.

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »

also, running my amps a touch quieter, just to be safe with this ribbon, the output of the ribbon is super hot.  crazy.  maybe the ribbon is bad already.  it was brand new sealed in the box.....

peteAndrews

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »

i use an R84 and a shinybox 23c regularly on heavy guits.
they both grab a TON of low end. i almost always EQ a lot of it out in mix. for heavy chunka-chunka stuff i capture 2 tracks panned hard with one of these guys and then do a track (or 2) of something up the middle using an e906/e609, a 57, or a 421.

now that i think of it, usually the cab gets 3 mics every time and i just switch between mics while tracking. but yeah... these 2 ribbons always are super beefy in the low end.

pete

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »

the e609 sounds really honky to me.  i'm running a marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's in it.  pushing it with bogner, fender tonemaster, traynor, mesa, and marshall amps.

we've got a earthworks laying around, maybe i'll try that with the fathead ribbon.

Will F

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »

Heil mics are very nice on guitar amps. I've got the PR35 and 40.

-Will

meverylame

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »

I'm still working out all of my tastes and in all fairness they do fluxuate frequently but after having gone through all the typical permutations of microphone choices I feel I get the best results from a beyer m88 and sennheiser 409. Every here and there a m160 might pop up as another option but that generally been my combo for the last bit. Summed at input.

colinl

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 01:06:10 PM »

One of my buddies got a recent endorsement by sE Electronics, so we got to try out a bunch of their mics on a recent session.  Most of them (to me) weren't anything super special, but then we put up one of their VR2 ribbons on a guitar cab and it sounded better than anything else we tried all day.  Since then it's been his go-to guitar mic. 

To me, it doesn't sound like a normal ribbon.. it sounded clearly better than the royer 121 when we A-B'd em, running both through neve pre's (I forget which).  Anyway here's the link to their site.. maybe they can send you a demo or something.  http://www.seelectronics.com/vr2.html

Gio

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Giovanni Fusco
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »

Lately a 57 paired with a U67 made me smile more than a few times. I've also done 57/Oktava 319, or 57/TLM170 with nice results. Barring that, 57/421 usually works.
"Real People, Real Performances"
www.oneeastrecording.com
www.themixshack.com

Nikodemos_T

• Recording & Mixing engineer at the Sonic Ark
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 06:32:42 AM »

I really like all the broadcast style dynamics (sm7, re20, pr40, MD441) and also 57 combined with a realy natural sounding LDC like TLM170,TLM 193 or a 414 xls.....it's pretty easy to get both of best worlds with such a combi, from the more edgy and punchy close to the grill sound of the dynamics to the smoother more roomy and fuller sound of the LDC....however i almost never mic them in one track....i prefer to use them as a dual mono pair , probably hard panned and most of the times double tracked (and opossite panned).

TLM 193 is a very underated mic for ampmicing IMO. 

Podgorny

• Real Full Name: Kyle Mann
  • What 500-series mic pre works best as a door stop?
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »

Shure Unidyne and 421 bussed together.
If you find something better, let me know. I have yet to.

And I go back and forth on the ribbons. They're nice for taming high end, but so are greenbacks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.