R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Chris Whitley  (Read 4798 times)

rnicklaus

RIP Chris Whitley
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:54:46 PM »

I just saw this -

<<WHITLEY PASSES: We’re greatly saddened to report that Texas-based alternative rock singer-songwriter Chris Whitley died yesterday from complications of lung cancer. A longtime heavy smoker, Whitley cancelled his fall tour when it was announced he had terminal cancer. He had been in home hospice care until his death. On his official Website, the last post by his  brother Daniel reads: “Chris is resting peacefully and is in little physical pain. At one point today, he grabbed my hand firmly as I spoke to him, looked at me and smiled his usual knowing smile. But that is all and that was quite enough. I wish I could say more to ease your minds but I can’t and I’m truly sorry. Living this and writing this is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life without question.” Whitley spent a great deal of his career on Columbia and its WORK “alternative” subsidiary label before signing with Dave Matthews’ ATO label in 2001, releasing several critically-acclaimed discs for that label. No details yet regarding a memorial service or plans. (11/21p)>>
R.N.

jstuart

Re: RIP Chris Whitley
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:11:08 PM »

Chris' "Living with the Law" has been a top 10 in my personal listening ever since he released it. He was one of those who followed his own muse- a fabulous lyricist. I've always bought his recordings, and not always liked them, but the man was a real artist, so I never hesitated when he had a new one out.

Damn, RIP, my friend,

J

Wiggling air molecules for a multitude of reasons, and in a variety of ways, for well over 30 years.

Daniel Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:15:01 AM »

This is terrible. I didn't even know he was ill.

His first two records were, to me, instant classics. I'm sorry to see him go.

Hud Hudson

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 12:50:57 PM »

What a shock to learn this news today on another board. "Living With the Law" was my #1 all time favorite record and Chris' music made a huge impression on me. My heart goes out to his family, friends and fans. I'd just heard a nice news piece on NPR earlier this month about his two latest releases...what a fine body of work to leave behind.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson

johnnywiz

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 01:15:37 PM »

I'm incredibly saddened to hear this....
Besides being a huge fan, I had a few chances to hang with Chris, both in Boston and in Austin. I bumped into him (literally) coming out of the men's room at La Zona Rosa where he recognized me from Boston. He had asked me to mix his next tour, which was with the Soul Coughing guys, whom I'm also friends with. At the time, Chris was let's say, going thru some personal hell and was a little messed up. He took my number, but I never heard from him again. Damn shame, I would have bailed on Los Lobos to do this gig.

Another story... After my divorce I had some "cover-up" tattoo work to be done and brought Living with the Law to listen to. It was a sad day and Chris' music really helped me through it.

He made the dirt stick.
RIP Chris, you're missed already.

Think I'll be quitting smoking for New Years'.

JohnnyWiz
"What's with all these people who think that intonation is overrated?" JJB

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 05:23:42 PM »

Very sad news.  RIP.

By the way, how about quitting NOW!  Don't wait for NY.

Tidewater

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 07:30:50 PM »

Not good news, I didn't know he was ill..

Ok, it scares me.. some, as I turn 41.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Brent Casey

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 07:32:44 PM »

I listened to "Living With The Law" this morning. The title track is still rattling around in my head as it tends to do - and I never really mind because it's such a beautiful song.
The first time I heard Whitley was on 93.1 "The Cave", up in Eugene Oregon. It was a station started by group of New Yorkers who came out in the late 80's. Before The Cave, the only formats were stations that played hourly "Tush", or "Sussudio". That station was a big deal for me. They sent some great music my way and I've always appreciated that. I remember hearing "Big Sky Country" for the first time when I was driving down HWY 99 W. Chris Whitley was one of those artists that really made a big impact on me.
I never knew that he was ill until today.

Brent Casey
Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335

natpub

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:44:35 AM »

More sad news, sigh Sad

Sad to hear this, RIP Chris.

Rough week....

K.
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.