R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Down

Author Topic: The Chicago test results...  (Read 158082 times)

RKrizman

Re: The Chicago test results...
« Reply #645 on: December 03, 2005, 02:04:37 AM »

Fibes wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 20:16

Seeing two misinterpretations in this thread got my goat

As well it should.  That's Randy's point, and the reason why some people have just had it with the anti-Protools Shriners in their little clown cars.

-R

malice

« Reply #646 on: December 03, 2005, 02:10:45 AM »

checkmate110 wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 07:54

AMAZING!!! Your side of the argument is reduced to questioning  someone's post count??

AMAZING!!! you totally missed my point.

malice

PS: I just read YOUR side of the argument. Dude I was so fucking floored. No kidding, I learned a lot from you so far. Keep on the good work buddy Wink

Ron Steele

« Reply #647 on: December 03, 2005, 02:23:03 AM »

tick......tick....tick.....

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

jUst kidDinG mAlicE.

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
 "I have had PLENTY of my posts torched on other boards. It kind of goes with the territory of pushing the envelope. Their house, their rules. Why can't everyone GET this?"

malice

« Reply #648 on: December 03, 2005, 03:38:15 AM »

About my side of the argument :
to Checkmate110

page five :

malice wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 08:58

Extreme Mixing wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 08:49

Yeah, which was it, a node or a null???  And what exactly are you talking about?

For the record, I think Mixerman probably did have a problem with a transfer, and lost some low end.  I'm just not sure it was due to the inherant "problem" with Pro Tools.  Wiring or an impedence mismatch seems more likely to me, but I wasn't there.

it is interesting to hear from those of you who were there for the event.

Especially from Steve Albini,

I wonder what he heard and why it turned out that he did not raise his hand.
The whole purpose of this test was not about Mixerman seeing pink elephant or not, it's about what could have caused what he (and numerous of esteemed colleagues ) has heard.

I haven't check the posted chunks myself, I will do this afternoon, but I would love to have a full description of the event from the "rebels" camp as well as from the "empire" point of view (if I may borrow Fletcher's imagery).

malice

page six :

malice wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 20:10

R.Nicklaus wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 19:19

If the Mixerman LA test happens, I propose, no mixes just raw drum and bass files set up as one would listen in a tracking situation.

If the Mixerman LA test happens, and I would love it happens, I would suggest more dynamic files (no offense steve, those sounded good) as Bob Ohlson suggested it was a dynamic problem. I agree that there is no use to keep the guitars or anything else than bass and drums.

I would also agree with mixerman that three excerpts should be blind tested and not more than that.

thirdly, I don't know if you need to be  35 in the control room at one time.

I was reading what Steve Albini reported, and I must say I was a bit disappointed he felt the need to refrain from saying anything while he was experiencing the bass loss problem.

Most of all, I wonder why the bass loss, wich was the main purpose of this test, was not the object of a personal and secret vote that should have been written on paper like the rest of the blind test

That would have prevent anyone from being influenced by the others, biased or not.

I haven't been listening to the test files yet in a satisfactory environment, I will do later,and I would like to thank, nevertheless, all the people involved.

best

malice

and also :

malice wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 20:23

R.Nicklaus wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 20:16

If you listen to Steve's recording and read what he said, you can tell there was a lot of energy flying through the power supply.

It's huge.  Again, forget the test for a minute and listen to the stereo imaging on the drums.  Holy shit!

No doubt about it Wink Steve is Steve !

Quote:

Now, is that the same as finishing a bass and drum take and listening for problems in the performance?  Will that use more juice from the power supply?

That's above my pay grade for sure.

I agree, I was just suggesting some other type of content for experiment sakes.

I'm really trying to understand more than arguing. I have experienced this problem myself, and perhaps I'm just willing to know what I have been doing wrong with the transfer if indeed it was an operator (moi) mistake (wich I won't necessary dismiss)

malice

page 12 I try to convince Randy to let Mixerman recreate the anomaly :

malice wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 09:06

I don't understand this. If Mixerman can repeat the experience and show you a typical setup were this bass lite thing occur, wouldn't it be interesting to take 2 hours of your life and check that with him ?

Aren't we all here to learn something ?

You are agreeing to spend days debating in front of your computer with people you don't even know, and you would refuse to meet them in person to solve this mystery, in your own town (I'm talking to the LA guys here).

2 hours at Cello's (or equivalent) with free coffee, 2 weeks here of endless and useless discussions ...

C'mon guys, see the opportunity

1) there is a bass lite problem that your maid can hear : you will learn something

2) there isn't : Mixerman says : "I'll be damn, my bad, sorry guys, can I buy you a drink..."

End of debate.

SO ?

Whatever, no one's listening ...

malice

then in the same page, I wonder why three persons heard a problem in the CR and nobody raised his hand :

malice wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 17:42

BT wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 17:12

Well for what it?s worth?..

I was at the test sitting with the guy who made the Digi 192.I can say this he was one of the nicest guys I have come across in a long time. We chatted about clocks converters and the like while Steve and the rest got things going.

Now when the transfers began into Protools with the 192 on its own internal clock at 48k, upon playback there it was no impact, harsh highs and yes a loss of bottom end!!At this point I stood up and looked at a tech friend of mine and he agreed, my new friend from Digidesign also stood with a confused look on his face.

This is the third person that heard the bass drop, I'm beginning to wonder if all this was not a dream ...

Quote:

This leaves a couple of things to consider one being the Lavry converters, of which I will admit I am no fan of personally, that were used in the final two track mix. Did these in some way level the playing field to the point of not being able to tell a dam thing? What about Nuendo while were at it, did this massage our tracks to digital twins?

Doubt it would be the Lavrys, But something might be wrong in the printed 2 tracks.

three persons heard it, it is not on the 2 tracks mix ????

what the fuck ?????

Quote:

I think if it were just one simple pass at 48k on the Digi clock it would have been easy to pick it out.

In the test files posted there is not an obvious loss of low end but you do not have the original tape to listen to either.

Without getting into a digital-analog debate I think most that were there were fine with using Pro Tools from a digital standpoint by the end of the evening and there were some interesting clock issues sorted out also.

Thanx for sharing this, I'm more and more wondering about the validity of the procedure and I wouldn't take this test as final as some of us would love to do.

malice

then you have to wait until post 35 to see me starting wondering about why the thread never ends and seems to drift into some Mixerman bashing more than arguing over the more intelligent posts and contributive posts.

and this is what Krisman has to answer :

RKrizman wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 07:09

malice wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 00:53

It's amazing how to see how many pages have been posted in this thread and how most of the participants keep on ignoring the more contributive and inteligent posts.

Too busy they are slandering Mixerman. You know who you are ...

malice

And your contribution is.....what?

-R

and this is YOUR contribution :

checkmate110 wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 07:54

AMAZING!!! Your side of the argument is reduced to questioning  someone's post count??

The other members should do a search on your two other posts in this forum and wonder about who you are by now.

I did contribute, and stated my opinion at the beginning of the thread. I don't need to discuss about it more than that.

My agenda is clear : I heard the problem on several occasions, I do agree it is not audible in the files, so I'm just asking myself why, and that is all about what this conversation should be.

You come as an anonymous poster and you reduce my argumentation  to the last point I made about this oversized thread not solving the problem.

Again, I heard a bass loss. I'm not alone. Mixerman ( whom I've worked with and who knows and works with PT when needed btw ) , Slipperman, who I know personally and who own a facility with a plethora of analog and digital formats  used on daily basis, Bob Ohlson who is probably the poster I admire the most here and whose credits and knowledge is undiputable, Steve Albini, Fletcher, and a couple of other members...

All these people including myself are trying to understand what they have heard.

I merely try to proove that the post count of some of the participants speaks volume about their point not being made in spite of the evidence there is no bass loss in the files.

So lemme ask you, as your contribution is so scarse and could be resumed as three smartass sentences: what is YOUR experience and how can YOU explain we have heard this problem and not you ?

I dare you to tell we are deaf or delusional. Because you would have to back this up against respected professionals that are, contrary to you, well known from the rest of us members of this forum.

I don't know if you're "checkmate", may be you should have chosen "stalemate" instead

malice

malice

« Reply #649 on: December 03, 2005, 04:06:25 AM »

Ron Steele wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 08:23

tick......tick....tick.....

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

jUst kidDinG mAlicE.

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

`
I so will have to live with that

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

malice

maxdimario

« Reply #650 on: December 03, 2005, 06:08:52 AM »

Quote:

Its easy to say this after the results are revealed. Aren't you the guy that heard differences in the cymbals between two tracks that nulled completely even after 10 generations or something a while back? I'm sure there are better ears than mine out their but you are hearing different "intent" in the same track save some eq variance? Thats a stretch of biblical proportion and frankly strains your credibility just a little in my eyes.

well, post them at random and I will pick them out.

I'm very surprised you don't hear them.

anyway for the ten generation thing I picked one out but never got an answer.

this is a lot easier.

I can't believe nobody out there can hear the difference between 48 and 96 on THE SAME MACHINE.

it's getting to be nutty.

really... what the heck does it take to null out sound files on a program? anyone can do that, even a deaf person.

without going into a Max-bashing fest I would like to become the guinea-pig for this... please post Radar 48 and 96 and pro-tools 48 and 96 ... change the names of the files and I will pick them out on my laptop speakers.

rnicklaus

« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2005, 11:55:31 AM »

Max,

before the files were revealed, I suggested that discussing the 96K VS 48K files would be interesting.

Some were claiming that the Lavry being at 96K lost bottom end, and 96K can do that.

Did you find this to be the case between these formats at 48 and 96?

R.N.

Ron Steele

« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2005, 12:08:22 PM »

Quote:

Again, I heard a bass loss. I'm not alone. Mixerman ( whom I've worked with and who knows and works with PT when needed btw ) , Slipperman, who I know personally and who own a facility with a plethora of analog and digital formats used on daily basis, Bob Ohlson who is probably the poster I admire the most here and whose credits and knowledge is undiputable, Steve Albini, Fletcher, and a couple of other members...

All these people including myself are trying to understand what they have heard.

That's just fucking great but,

What exactly did they fucking hear?

When and where did they hear it?

Did they ever try to "understand" or investigate what it maybe, or reproduce it and trouble shoot [ KINDA LIKE THIS TEST ] ?

If this happens to them everyday, could they please post a file of the 2" before it hits the daw, and after it is in the daw?

Or will we not be able to hear it on a CdR or nuendo/lavry set-up?

"I have had PLENTY of my posts torched on other boards. It kind of goes with the territory of pushing the envelope. Their house, their rules. Why can't everyone GET this?"

rnicklaus

« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »

Malice,

Whatever you feel you want to get all riled up about, this test was done well and the files are there for everyone to hear.

I don't believe there are people saying this didn't happen to Mixerman.  This test was only to find out IF a 2" tape could be transferred into PT via the 192 without severe bottom end loss.

You bet there were people at this test, when aware of what format was being played, without a doubt, believe they heard "the problem".   But there are things to show that maybe they weren't so sure at the time and hindsight made the feeling a bit stronger.

One person at the test said he could hear night and day differences in the files we all have.  Not subtle, but differences a deaf person could hear. Not one person at the test or in the days following said anything more than the differences were "less severe" on the files than live.  Not that all the files now lacked bottom or anything close to that.  

When you add Slipperman to the mix, I believe you are actually diluting the PT 192 problem as he claims he mainly uses the MOTU HD192 and he thinks it sounds very close to the Digi unit.

Some are claiming that the Lavry into Nuendo at 96K skewed the results.

IF this is the case, then why would anybody single out Pro Tools and the 192?

If these same people believe the Lavry/Nuendo combo had the same issue, Slipperman believes he has the same issue with the MOTU HD192 as he does with PT, then why is PT the issue?

But, yes some claim they have a severe bottom end loss with the 192.  Nobody has ever produced a file showing that fact, however.

This test produced 9 files.  The simple reality is do these files show severe bottom end loss or not?  NOT why it doesn't.....

That is the most bizarre part of the post test shitstorm.  People are incensed that the 192 didn't show severe bottom end loss.  

Don't blame the files, just produce others that show the problem, but make sure the test is neutral and monitored.

How simple is this?  VERY!

If some are having this problem "all the time" and others aren't and now we have this test that goes into the "others aren't" camp, what's the global emergency?

R.N.

The Resonater

« Reply #654 on: December 03, 2005, 02:44:30 PM »

RKrizman wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 07:04

That's Randy's point, and the reason why some people have just had it with the anti-Protools Shriners in their little clown cars.

-R

Kriz,

That is F U N N Y!

The Resonater

Fibes

« Reply #655 on: December 03, 2005, 06:42:28 PM »

RKrizman wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 02:04

Fibes wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 20:16

Seeing two misinterpretations in this thread got my goat

As well it should.  That's Randy's point, and the reason why some people have just had it with the anti-Protools Shriners in their little clown cars.

-R

Hahahahaha. It's my point too. We're just missing somewhere in semantics...

Quote:

If CLA (who is not a friend by the way) insisted that all his tracks be sent on 4 RADARs or Nuendo, DP, Logic or anything, the bands and labels would do it. Green Day is requesting him, not his gear.

People get hired, at that level, because of what they do, not what they use. If they use DP, Logic, RADAR, nobody cares. I know people will get all up in arms and disagree.

Exactly.

There are some who can't make that demand and i think are a little pissy because of it. I would use PT in a heartbeat if it suited my business plan and I needed more interchangabilty. The few folks i work with have found the AAF transfer flawless. I loaded an entire record from PT and was mixing in less than an hour. Multiply that hour by the number of times I do that and I barely could buy the cabling for the HD system.

Usually the biggest problem with a good DAW is between the DAW and the seat.

That doesn't infer that I prefer the sound of digital to great analog but i also prefer other formats to cd too...

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

FFoster

« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2005, 10:42:32 PM »

How ironic that you mention my post count!! wink wink!
The fact remains that there is no appreciable bass loss in any of the 9 (or 3) files. Remember, not a hand was raised in Chicago when asked. As for name calling, [edited by moderator]

Tidewater

« Reply #657 on: December 04, 2005, 01:04:37 AM »

The Resonater wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 14:44

RKrizman wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 07:04

That's Randy's point, and the reason why some people have just had it with the anti-Protools Shriners in their little clown cars.

-R

Kriz,

That is F U N N Y!

Yes it is. I hope this is the dawning of a less serious age, an age of hilarity.

This is the dawning of the age of hilarious, age of hilarious, and of hilariouUuuuus aahhhh hilarious! Huh larry us!

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

minister

« Reply #658 on: December 04, 2005, 01:07:16 AM »

hello larry-us!
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

malice

« Reply #659 on: December 04, 2005, 02:37:38 AM »

checkmate110 wrote on Sun, 04 December 2005 04:42

How ironic that you mention my post count!! wink wink!
The fact remains that there is no appreciable bass loss in any of the 9 (or 3) files.

You do know how to read, do you ? You did notice I agree with that already ?

Quote:

Remember, not a hand was raised in Chicago when asked.

Do you have comprehension issues in Indiana ? I also stated  that I wondered why as Albini, Fletcher and another person heard it plain as day. It's in bold character. Should put them in red so that you notice.

Quote:

As for name calling, [edited by moderator]

where did you see I insulted you ? I called you anonymous, I suggested you change your name to "stalemate" (far from calling you a dick, you will agree) , and I mentioned you made smartass answer.That doesn't mean I called you a smartass in my book. Do you think I will let you troll me ?

I can see you don't have much to say, I suggest you say it elsewhere. This thread is almost over, I doubt you will have anything else to contribute.

Anonymous trolls are not that popular over here.

malice
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.